Opportunity - 2023 World Food Forum Transformative Research Challenge

International Food Loss and Food Waste Studies Group

May 31, 2023, 6:23:49 AM5/31/23
to International Food Loss and Food Waste Studies Group

Please see below World Food Forum funding opportunity for young researchers and students:

I’m reaching out on behalf of the World Food Forum (WFF) Team.

The WFF is a Youth-led network of partners facilitated by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). The objective of the WFF is to empower young people from everywhere to actively shape agrifood systems.

We are excited to introduce you to our Transformative Research Challenge Special Prizes, one of the WFF Innovation lab Competitions which address young researchers and students from all over the world to support our agrifood systems transformation, help end hunger, and accelerate climate action. This challenge seeks to address the most pressing challenges of our time, such as: Global One Health, The Role of Water in Agrifood Systems Transformation, Peste des petits ruminants/PPR (Sheep and goat plague), Food Action Accelerates Climate Action, and Food Loss & Waste.

How it works?

The TRC is a research-based competition for young researchers and students. The challenge consists of three phases: the first one is an open call for researchers to submit a two-page concept note in English that we will send to expert reviewers for evaluation to select the semi-finalists. The second phase starts by pairing the semi-finalists teams with mentors to transfer their concept note into a concrete research output. Finally, we will have a second round of evaluation to select our finalists who will pitch their ideas in front of the judges (including FAO Chief Economist and Chief Scientist) at the World Food Forum (WFF) Flagship Event on 16-20 October 2023.

📌 Deadline for concept notes: 9 June 2023

Benefits and Prizes for the winners:

  • Research grants of over USD 200 000 to go from idea to action (For Global One Health and PPR Special Prizes)
  • Mentorship: Finalist teams will be paired with mentors who are experts in their fields to help transform their concept note into a research output
  • Spot at the WFF stage to present your research outputs during the Flagship event in October 2023
  • Travel and accommodation in Rome on 16 – 20 October to attend WFF Flagship event
  • Publication of research findings in one of the FAO’s sectoral publications

📌Link for the applications form

📌Link for the TRC Special Prizes webpage

Kind Regards,

Letícia Niehues - Leticia.Tanc...@fao.org