Avoidable and Unavoidable food waste

lorenzo Giacomella

Aug 17, 2022, 9:46:32 AM8/17/22
to International Food Loss and Food Waste Studies Group
Dear all,

my name is Lorenzo Giacomella, I am a Ph.D. student at KU Leuven studying the role of food waste on the environmental performance of food products from an LCA perspective.

Right now, I am confronting two products (fresh VS. processed and packed) to better understand to what extent one alternative is more sustainable than the other, and under what circumstances the result might change. To make it simple, my reference is 1kg of fresh fruit processed at the processing center or at the consumer's house.  However, I am doubtful when I insert in my model the presence of avoidable/unavoidable food waste, and here is my concern:
  • If I consider no waste at the consumption level, still the fresh product is expected to generate some unavoidable food waste.
  • However, if I rely on estimates from literature these two numbers (the amount of unavoidable food waste and the amount of waste produced at the processing stage are far distant from each other: around 17% for household level (unavoidable), and around 8% at processing stage (with no distinction between avoidable or unavoidable).
  • I would expect that, in absence of avoidable food waste at the consumer level, the food wasted (unavoidable) at the household level, and the food waste at the processing center should be the same (or at least the one at the processing center as high as the food waste at household level)
I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe I am logically wrong but it would be nice to discuss the topic of food waste estimations together.

Looking forward to hearing from you, and thank you for your attention.

Warm regards from Leuven,
Lorenzo
--

Lorenzo Giacomella

PhD Researcher
Bio-economie Leuven
Celestijnenlaan 200e, 3001 Heverlee
Room: 01.240

Abd Elrahman Ali

Aug 17, 2022, 11:47:16 AM8/17/22
to foodwast...@googlegroups.com
Dear  Lorenzo,
I am very interested in this area of research, We can discuss it later together.
Dr Ali,

--
foodwastestudies.com
---

Andrew Smith

Aug 19, 2022, 9:08:20 AM8/19/22
to foodwast...@googlegroups.com
Oxford University Press has contracted me to submit a bibliography on Food Waste. The problem is how to select specific works for a total of 10-20 pages (which includes descriptions). Below are the categories I am currently considering.

Any suggestions for the most important works in these categories (I can include about 5-7 works in each category) or missing categories, would be greatly appreciated.

Andy Smith

General Works
Cookbooks
      Leftover and Waste-free Cookbooks
Gleaning, Dumpster Diving, Freeganism
Food Industry/Food Manufacturers
Farms/Farming/Ranching
Restaurants/Fast Food/Dining OUt
Grocery Stores/Supermarkets
Home, Households, Consumers
Food Waste Processing
Commercial, Business and Nonprofit Ventures
Media on Food Waste
Websites/Organizations
Apps