UK food waste regulation - opportunities

Martin Bowman

May 31, 2021, 10:27:56 AM5/31/21
to foodwast...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know there’s two big opportunities to influence UK government on food waste regulation:

  • Q19 ‘Food’ section of the Waste Prevention Programme for England consultation, deadline: Thursday 10th June
  • An upcoming consultation on mandatory food waste reporting (hopefully due this summer)

If you agree with Feedback’s food waste policy brief (see this Table Debates article for a summary) that the UK’s voluntary agreements are not going fast enough, and we need to speed things up through regulation, then please do get in touch with me at mar...@feedbackglobal.org as we’re trying to coordinate responses to build pressure as much as possible (we have resources we can share). If you have any contacts with UK farmers, who might be interested in supporting mandatory food waste reporting at primary production level, would be particularly great to hear from you. The government’s current proposals are to delay mandatory food waste reporting until 2024, and not consult on mandatory food waste targets/extended producer responsibility until 2026/7 – only a few years before the SDG 12.3 target deadline in 2030. We hope to speed this up – and provide a template that other countries around the world could follow.

All the best,

Martin

For food that nourishes the planet.

Martin Bowman

Senior Policy and Campaigns Manager

T: +44 (0) 2030518633  M: +44 (0) 7816088210  http://feedbackglobal.org/

Please note I work part-time. My usual days in the office are Tuesday to Thursday.

Follow us: twitter facebook

Feedback enables the regeneration of nature by reducing the demands placed on it by the food system. To do this, we challenge power, catalyse action and empower people to achieve positive change.

Donate to help build a better food system.

Join our mailing list.

Registered Charity No: 1155064