Municipalities' interest + role in catering food waste

lembacha...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2021, 4:20:32 AM7/26/21
to International Food Loss and Food Waste Studies Group
Hi all,

My name is Yasmina Lembachar and I'm a research analyst at Circle Economy/general sustainable food systems and food waste enthusiast.

We are currently working on a project concept note that aims to generate data on catering food waste at the city level and I am looking for literature on the role of local governments in supporting/incentivising restaurants and other food service providers to reduce food waste.

More broadly, I'm interested in learning if this an issue that municipalities care about, or if this is largely understood as the responsibility of national governments, together with the private sector?

Appreciate any resources and insights you can share!

Cheers,

Yasmina

Andrew Smith

Jul 26, 2021, 6:05:23 AM7/26/21
to foodwast...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Yasmina Lembachar,

This may not turn up anything useful, but search the attached Food Waste and Food Recovery Bibliography62 on "catering" --- there are references to articles on food waste and catering, catering companies, etc. that may be useful.

Andy Smith

--
foodwastestudies.com
---

Brian Roe

Jul 28, 2021, 9:19:31 AM7/28/21
to International Food Loss and Food Waste Studies Group
While there is no academic write up of this program, our region does have an 'arm' of its food waste reduction plan (implemented under the auspices of a regional waste management authority) with specific programs for restaurants:

So the municipalities in this region are revealing interest in engaging food service establishments in addressing food waste.

Brian