Reasons for Food Waste in Households

Tommy Ose

Oct 13, 2021, 5:48:21 AM10/13/21
to foodwast...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fellow Food Scientists!

My PhD on Reasons for Food Waste in Households is now finally available digitally. The dissertation examines reasons for unnecessary food waste generation on a household level in Tromsø, Norway.

"Applying a holistic perspective, we follow the food throughout parts of the food cycle; from its entry into the household until its exit, studying the matter in the social contexts where decisions and acts take place. The study analyses the underlying premises of food management through the lens of everyday practices and priorities, viewing these as manifestations of the valuations of food. It is argued that the low priority given to food management, and the subsequent levels of food waste, reflects the value currently assigned to food."

Currently, I am looking for a post.doc/research or lecturer position, and I would be very grateful if any of you reading this could get in touch if you know of any possibilities in our field. Contact details at the bottom.

A summary of the PhD:

The main text is quite massive, as I included lots of empirical material which would hopefully be of use to future researchers. At the time of its release in 2018, there weren't many studies of food waste practices in households, apart from David Evans' in the UK.

Title: “Exercises in Excess” - Food waste and the value of food in the affluent north: A perspective on value chains and their disruption.

If you have any comments, questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

All the best,

Tommy Ose