Call for Volunteers! Power of Produce Club!

1 view

Janel Lajoie

Apr 18, 2024, 2:20:11 PMApr 18
to food-act...@googlegroups.com

Good afternoon,

The Philomath Farmers' Market and Bountiful Backyard 501(c)(3) received an awesome grant from Linn Benton Lincoln Health Equity Authority to start and operate a Power of Produce (POP) Club for kids at our market this year. The short version of what we are going to do is have a weekly activity and a 'Two-Bite Challenge' with a different fruit or veggie each week. The kids get a passport to fill, and a $2 token to spend on any fruit or vegetable at the market - they can save them up or spend them each week. Teaching financial literacy, reducing summer reading loss, and of course, increasing food awareness, knowledge of local food systems, etc.

I have the funding, I have the plan, I am working on the activity schedule, supplies, etc. What I need are some enthusiastic, reliable volunteers who would love to sample food, cook a 5 (or fewer) ingredient dish, help kids with activities, hand out tokens, etc. every Sunday 11 to 3 from the end of May to October.

Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to be part of our team! I am working to make this an easy, fun volunteer opportunity! :)

--
Janel L. Lajoie
Philomath Farmers' Market Manager

I live within Champinefu, the traditional homeland of the Ampinefu Band of Kalapuya.  Following the Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855 (Kalapuya …Treaty), Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations at either Grand Ronde or Siletz. Today, Kalapuya live within tribal lands or tribally-ceded lands throughout the region. Many Kalapuya are active members of the sovereign nations of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde or the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. Kalapuya culture is alive.