Fonty 0.4.3 - Please test.

1 view

Donn

Oct 4, 2009, 2:49:44 PM10/4/09
to fonty...@googlegroups.com
Hello list,
Please head over to the trunk, get a copy and check it out. There are all
kinds of new tricks.
svn co svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/fontypython/trunk

1. Fonts that have weird spacing to the left and top are now cropped to fit.
This is optional with a checkbox in the Settings because it adds work per font
and is slightly slower.

2. After much experimentation I finally got Fonty to spawn either gucharmap or
kfontview for any given font -- and you can open multiple windows.
There is a new button on each font item (bottom left). Only valid fonts can be
viewed.
I chose those two apps because:
1. Doing a character map of my own is just too much work.
2. I searched around in the repos and online for other viewers and those are
the only two that seem prevalent.
On startup, Fonty will look for them and only offer what is installed (In
settings)

3. I flipped the tabs for Source to the bottom. My thinking is that most work
happens at the bottom of the app. Paging, filtering, and when you scroll down
in the view, you end-up at the bottom anyway. So, the tabs are closer now.

4. I added some quick filter toggle buttons for Bold, Italic and
Regular/Normal.

5. I did a *lot* of work on the appearance of the font view. There are lots of
tweaks and some icons to represent bad fonts.

6. When more than 20 fonts are in any page a wx.Yield() is done so that the
entire GUI does not lock-up.

7. Settings got a notebook (tabs) to better control the new options.

8. The help file has been up-upgraded.

9. Many strings have been altered (pog to Pog, for example) and there are some
new ones too. Translators alert!

10. The ability to zip a Pog - was added in 0.4.2 but it's still shiny and
new.

11. Also since 0.4.2 -- Font counting. To prevent 'overlaps' when Pogs share
common font files and you don't want them uninstalling.

12. The man page is updated. man -l fontypython.1 will show it.

There are probably more things I have forgotten now. The code has been
factored and cleaned (a lot) but there are still areas that are a mess.

Right, I believe that barring any big errors this will be the latest Fonty for
some time. I have to move-on to other projects now.

Let me know!

\d

--
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
2D vector animation : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/

Donn

Oct 5, 2009, 6:47:46 AM10/5/09
to fonty...@googlegroups.com
Just to say - I may be away for a few days. Please try to use Savannah to post
any bugs, but mail to the list is good too.

(He says... to the tune of crickets and tumbleweeds :) )
\d

Chris Mohler

Oct 6, 2009, 1:16:08 PM10/6/09
to fonty...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Donn <donn....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to say - I may be away for a few days. Please try to use Savannah to post
> any bugs, but mail to the list is good too.

Hmm - on first run, the main window is squashed horizontally to minimum.

On my system[0], I can reproduce by renaming/removing ~/.fontypython
and running the program.

It seems to remember the window size from there on out though - so
it's just a cosmetic hiccup. But since it's the first thing a new
user would see, perhaps it's worth looking into?

Chris

[0] up-to-date Ubuntu Jaunty, gnome, no effects (no compiz).

Donn

Oct 10, 2009, 5:17:22 AM10/10/09
to fonty...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 06 October 2009 19:16:08 Chris Mohler wrote:
> Hmm - on first run, the main window is squashed horizontally to minimum.
> On my system[0], I can reproduce by renaming/removing ~/.fontypython
> and running the program.
I will have a look at this. Thanks.

\d