stretching a font

CarlFK

Dec 29, 2008, 2:16:07 PM12/29/08
to fontypython
I want to make "Nimbus Sans L Bold Wide" by stretching "Nimbus Sans
L Bold" by 140%. maybe reduce the spacing.

/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n019004l.afm is GPL, and part of
ubuntu-desktop.

Ideally with some python code so that I can just distribute a few
lines, instead of using an interactive editor and then distributing
the resulting font.

I am not sure if Fonty Python is applicable, but I figure this is a
good place to ask.

Carl K

Chris Mohler

Dec 29, 2008, 2:21:10 PM12/29/08
to fonty...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

AFAIK, there's no code to modify fonts in fontypython - just to
display and organize...

Chris

Donn

Dec 29, 2008, 2:50:06 PM12/29/08
to fonty...@googlegroups.com, CarlFK
On Monday, 29 December 2008 21:21:10 Chris Mohler wrote:
> AFAIK, there's no code to modify fonts in fontypython  - just to
> display and organize...
Correct.

Carl, if you want a bitmap of a font then Python Imaging can help you. You can
stretch it to your heart's content -- if you want an actual font (afm file)
then you need to look elsewhere.

I hear that one can create fonts (SVG fonts) in Inkscape these days -- try the
very latest version. You create it in Inkscape and take the SVG to a font app
(like Font Forge, or others) and then go from there.

hth,
\d

--
snappy repartee: What you'd say if you had another chance.

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/