Status of pyftmerge

Clint Goss

Mar 28, 2019, 5:33:09 PM3/28/19
to fonttools
I'm hoping some folks can provide thoughts on the general status of pyftmerge.

I am using it in a fairly vanilla situation and my resultant font has missing code points - it could well be my error, but before I beat my head against hard surfaces for hours and hours, I would love to hear if others have found it maintained and robust ...

I'm also using pyftsubset, which seems to be up-to-date, with lots of options that work well (the ones I've tried), together with an extensive man page, etc etc. I also note in a minor update in the latest 3.39 release ...

The pyftmerge executable, OTOH, seems to have no man page that I can find, and maybe has not been updated in a long time??

*Thanks* for *any* info that might shed light as to whether I should forge ahead ...

-Clint

Behdad Esfahbod

Mar 29, 2019, 12:16:48 AM3/29/19
to Clint Goss, fonttools
Hi Clint,

Ad you found out, pyftmerge is far from under active development or maintenance.  That said, if we see obvious bugs, we like to fix them.  Maybe you can share more about the actual problem you are having?

behdad

Clint Goss

Mar 29, 2019, 1:38:43 PM3/29/19
to fonttools
I have likely found the issue: I created a "blank" font in Font Creator Pro as my base, not realizing it creates empty glyphs for about 236 Latin and Common code points. I had been merging other fonts *into* this blank font, and I'm guessing pyftmerge does not replace empty glyphs.

The 'cmap' table looks OK (except that only a format 4 'cmap' for Win/UniBMP is emitted) , with pointer to appropriate glyph entries.