Warnings on Sphinx build of Documentation

Clint Goss

Mar 1, 2019, 1:40:18 PM3/1/19
to fonttools
Taking my first steps with FontTools (and Python), and am unsure if this is normal ... I've got Python, Sphinx, and FontTools installed, and have (separately) fetched and unpacked the FontTools release. Did a "make html" from the /Doc directory of the release and ...

** Is it normal to get 106 warnings (sample below) during a Sphinx run on FontTools 3.38.0?

** The resulting HTML output seems OK (I guess) except that the HTML pages all report "fontTools 3.10 Documentation" at the top left ... is that normal??

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I fear I've made a royal mess somehow and would like to straighten things out before diving deeper ...

Some samples:

fontTools.feaLib.ast.SimpleNamespace:3: WARNING: Inline strong start-string without end-string.

docstring of fontTools.feaLib.ast.StringIO.seek:7: WARNING: Definition list ends without a blank line; unexpected unindent.

WARNING: Duplicate ID: "module-fontTools.feaLib.parser".

fontTools.feaLib.builder.Builder.add_to_cv_num_named_params:1: WARNING: Unknown target name: "self.cv_num_named_params".

-Clint

Cosimo Lupo

Mar 1, 2019, 3:15:22 PM3/1/19
to Clint Goss, fonttools
Hi Clint,
thanks for trying FontTools. As you have noticed already, the documentation is quite sketchy.
Or even worse, what is in Doc may not be up-do-date with the code in the library.
There is a pull request pending from Chris Simpkins that attempts to improve things a bit, but a lot more work is needed towards that.

For the time being I would recommend that you look at the library code or examples that use the library to understand how it works.
Feel free to ask here on this list for questions, or file any issues you may encounter on the Github repo's issue tracker.

There is also a Gitter chat room for real-time communication with other fonttools developers, where you can ask anything.

I hope that helps.
Cheers

Cosimo

Clint Goss

Mar 1, 2019, 9:59:56 PM3/1/19
to fonttools
Excellent! I though something was messed up with my install ... glad to hear the documentation/Sphinx issues/warnings are expected.

Thanks for the feedback, and I hope to make progress soon ...

-Clint