Font text to SVG path

saard...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2020, 10:38:18 AM1/16/20
to fonttools
Hello everyone

I'd like to ask a basic question before I delve further into fonttools.

What I'd like to achieve:
Use a Python library within my Python software that would take text, text attributes, and a font (file, or name) and give it (the glyphs) back to me as an SVG path.

Is fonttools the right library to use?

Background:
I develop PCBmodE, an open source Python PCB design tool:

The current version is a bit of a mess font-wise and limited to font files that are available as SVG -- which are harder and harder to come by -- that are available as part of the repo.

For the re-write I'm working on now

I'd like for users to be able to use any font available on, say, Google Fonts. Writing my own code for this seems unproductive so I'm looking for solutions.

Many thanks,
Saar.