Native JSON Functions and # Functions

alec gregory

Apr 13, 2017, 8:10:19 AM4/13/17
to FileMaker Development Standards
Is now a good time to start a discussion about the future of the # Functions given that native JSON functions are coming? Or is it best to wait until the official release?

Jeremy Bante

Apr 13, 2017, 12:27:29 PM4/13/17
to FileMaker Development Standards
I've been holding my tongue for the public release.

Alec Gregory

Apr 13, 2017, 1:07:14 PM4/13/17
to FileMaker Development Standards
Cool. Looking forward to the discussion.

Diego D'Alessio

Apr 17, 2017, 11:30:56 AM4/17/17
to fmsta...@googlegroups.com
we're still under NDA ... :O

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 5:10:19 AM UTC-7, alec gregory wrote:
Is now a good time to start a discussion about the future of the # Functions given that native JSON functions are coming? Or is it best to wait until the official release?

Jeremy Bante

May 12, 2017, 3:23:53 AM5/12/17
to FileMaker Development Standards
Now that FileMaker 16 has been released, here are some of my thoughts on the topic: https://github.com/jbante/FM-JSON-Types

Gary Czychi

May 12, 2017, 3:42:09 AM5/12/17
to fmsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

thanks for sharing.

You say: « This will also make JSON the de facto standard format for scripts within FileMaker to pass parameters and results to each other…» Do you mean that you want/need to change the #-scripts that we are currently using to pass parameters from the FM Standards? Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated as I am using the #-scripts in all my projects.

Thanks,

Gary

On 12.05.2017, at 09:23, Jeremy Bante <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:

Now that FileMaker 16 has been released, here are some of my thoughts on the topic: https://github.com/jbante/FM-JSON-Types

Jeremy Bante

May 12, 2017, 3:51:04 AM5/12/17
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 12:42:09 AM UTC-7, Gary Czychi wrote:
Do you mean that you want/need to change the #-scripts that we are currently using to pass parameters from the FM Standards? Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated as I am using the #-scripts in all my projects.

My current personal thinking is to abandon the # functions, and the approach taken by #Assign in particular, in favor of JSON. Additionally, some of the semantics of how building JSON works in FileMaker are incompatible with how the # ( name ; value ) function is used to build Let Notation. It isn't possible to just swap out the calculations for the # functions to use JSON without modifying how they're used. (Well, it might be possible if we're really clever about it; but it would be unwise, all the same.)

Daniel Smith

May 12, 2017, 1:11:37 PM5/12/17
to filemakerstandards.org
I agree with JSON being the new standard serialization method, but please don't feel like you have to change old code to this new method. If you are starting a new project that only has to run on FM16+, you might benefit from using JSON instead of the #-functions. But even then, if you want to re-use your own code that uses the #-functions, you might want to stick to them for now, even for new projects.

Changing a core standard that all your code rely's on is not to be taken lightly.

Jeremy Bante

May 12, 2017, 4:06:54 PM5/12/17
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 10:11:37 AM UTC-7, dansmith65 wrote:
I agree with JSON being the new standard serialization method, but please don't feel like you have to change old code to this new method. If you are starting a new project that only has to run on FM16+, you might benefit from using JSON instead of the #-functions. But even then, if you want to re-use your own code that uses the #-functions, you might want to stick to them for now, even for new projects.

Changing a core standard that all your code rely's on is not to be taken lightly.

Agreed.

Ben Graham

May 12, 2017, 6:12:26 PM5/12/17
to fmsta...@googlegroups.com
Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to fmstandards...@googlegroups.com.

Scott Reese

May 12, 2017, 6:37:39 PM5/12/17
to fmsta...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't make it as standard until an extension change. I wouldn't want to break backwards compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone

Gary Czychi

May 13, 2017, 2:05:22 AM5/13/17
to fmsta...@googlegroups.com
I would [make it a standard] as soon as possible, because many people already work with json, even more so as we speak.

Why not have both? Until an extension change? They could easily coexist. You could have backwards compatibility with our “Set Variable [ParametersAreOK ; Value: #Assign … // deprecated ]”  and you could also have: “… #jAssign …” and it would be up to you what you would use.

My current project already involves json and even though we are about one third into the project I’m thinking of replacing the # functions; also because not much scripting has been done yet.

It would be really cool to have the new functionality. Updated FM Standards would be very beneficial because FileMaker now again is very open and minimalist about what they provide.

Gary

Jeremy Bante

May 16, 2017, 1:27:57 PM5/16/17
to FileMaker Development Standards
The new built-in JSON functions in FileMaker 16 are not supported in runtimes. That's a big deal for anyone with a business built on runtime-based products, and anyone who wants to share code with them. That's a fair-sized group.