Re: [Obo-anatomy] FMA in OWL-DL

Robert Hoehndorf

Mar 17, 2011, 9:05:02 AM3/17/11
to mej...@u.washington.edu, Chris Mungall, fma-ow...@googlegroups.com, obo-a...@lists.sourceforge.net, Alan Ruttenberg, George Gkoutos

Hi Onard,

OM> I just had a conversation with Robert and George and they have a
OM> DL version that my group will look into. Stay tuned. Onard

You can get the converted ontology file at
http://fma-in-owl.googlecode.com/files/fma.owl.gz
The file is not in EL (because it contains disjunctive domain and range
restrictions), but classifies in 2.5 seconds.

There is also a repository with the code to generate this OWL file from
the MySQL database dump. The code is available in the SVN at
http://code.google.com/p/fma-in-owl/.

Please let us know what you think,
Rob.

Alexander Garcia Castro

Mar 18, 2011, 1:27:34 PM3/18/11
to Robert Hoehndorf, mej...@u.washington.edu, George Gkoutos, fma-ow...@googlegroups.com, Chris Mungall, obo-a...@lists.sourceforge.net
There is also:

http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/FMAInOwl

Alexander Garcia
http://www.alexandergarcia.name/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexgarciac
Postal address:
Alexander Garcia, Tel.: +49 421 218 64211
Universität Bremen
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
D-28359 Bremen

Robert Hoehndorf

Mar 18, 2011, 1:43:47 PM3/18/11
to Alexander Garcia Castro, mej...@u.washington.edu, George Gkoutos, fma-ow...@googlegroups.com, Chris Mungall, obo-a...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Alexander,

AGC> There is also:
AGC> http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/FMAInOwl

Yes, this is an excellent representation as well, and a variant of what
is used in many OBO efforts.
The reason we did a new conversion was that the version above is in
OWL-Full (IIRC), which does not work well for automated reasoning. We
tried to provide an almost maximal representation of FMA in OWL DL so
that the relations can be used for automated inferences (currently in
<3s).

However, it would be nice to work towards an "official" OWL version of
the FMA which is reasonable complete and can be used for reasoning.

Rob.