ATA

Chris Mungall

Jan 2, 2012, 2:26:13 PM1/2/12
to fma-ow...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year FMAers

I have a quick question. A Reference Ontology for Bioinformatics: The Foundational Model of Anatomy by Rosse at al 2003 refers to the ATA:

"the ATA, or Anatomical Transformation Abstraction describes the time-dependent morphological transfor- mations of the concepts represented in the taxonomy during the human life cycle, which includes prenatal development, post-natal growth and aging"

Is the ATA available anywhere?

mej...@u.washington.edu

Jan 3, 2012, 4:56:18 PM1/3/12
to fma-ow...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

The ATA has not yet been developed. There was an initial effort starting with the is_a classification of embryological structures but that's about it. However, we are now working on a new project with the FaceBase consortium (craniofacial abnormalities), and that project involves developmental biology, so this will give us a chance to get started on the ATA. We are of course aware that some work has gone on in this area since 2003, so we'll want to work with others to use as much as possible what has already been done.

Onard