The Interesting Similarity Between The Philosophies of Bishop Berkeley and FMW

50 просмотров

Jack

не прочитано,
8 мар. 2013 г., 22:03:4608.03.2013
– fm...@googlegroups.com
There is a surprising harmony between these two philosophies.  Though I am not aware of what Berkeley thought about knowledge of God, I can guess that he considered it possible for some rare and priviledged individuals.  Berkeley's argument against matter is the same as Franklin's (POCUWAO).  I find much in Berkeley's philosophy very compelling just as I have in Wolff's.  I wonder if anyone has studied this out in detail.  It has been a long time since I read some of Berkeley.

Jack

не прочитано,
9 мар. 2013 г., 00:03:0809.03.2013
– fm...@googlegroups.com
Another interesting similarity exists between Marxist materialism and Scientific materialism.  We have realism and naturalism in both; and both must regard matter as having some remarkable characteristics.  This means ironically that the scientist is supporting a philosophy that he probably condemns in its social and political trappings.  In both cases we have atheism as well.  I wonder if anyone perceived Franklin as undermining Marxism?  Thus hidden within the work of Franklin Merrell-Wolff is also a threat to both a politica/social as well as a scientific framework.  And power and money attach to both.  Yes, we assume that Marxism-Leninism is dead and gone--but is it?  And certainly the scientific work is providing much needed knowledge and technology to keep a close watch on all of us.  What I am suggesting is that when very intelligent men can not seem to grasp the simplist and most persuasive point of view(Occam's razor), it is not due to some failure of intellect; rather it is due to a recognition that their funding depends on foundations and governments who prefer the materialistic point of view.  And why is that you might ask.  And well you might.  I think it is quite obvious.  It frees them from having to deal with morals and ethics.  All spiritual paths begin with an emphasis on ethical behavior.  In Yoga and Buddhism we have fine examples of this.  You can not walk on a spiritual path and simultaneousy be a thief, a murderer, an adulter, a dishonest academic, a swindler and cheat, and so on.  But you can just deny there is such a thing.  And take drugs to eliminate the pain of life.  And many do.

Jon

не прочитано,
10 мар. 2013 г., 08:54:3110.03.2013
– fm...@googlegroups.com
    'You can not walk on a spiritual path and simultaneousy be a thief, a murderer, an adulter, a dishonest academic...' You would hope that was true yet many spiritual leaders are the exact opposite. I am not not doubting Franklin Merell-Wolf, but the list of hypocritical holy men is endless. Nothing needs to be said of the Catholic Church. A popular spiritual 'man of peace', the Dalai Lama didn't mind approving the arming of the Kampas by the CIA to fight the Chinese (not that the Tibetans did not have the right to fight for independence, but that goes against all his supposed principles). India is full of holy con men and women. The list is endless.
    I could not agree more about governments being 100% free from morality. Science and technology do provide a great freedom for disseminating information, but they are neutral. I am curious about 'much needed knowledge and technology to keep a close watch on all of us.' There are positive aspects to having CCTV cameras everywhere, for example (London and Shenzen, China), lead the way, but is hard to imagine that having immoral  governments keeping a close watch on us is a good thing. Is internet censorship a good? Is the jailing without trial of whistle blowers who reveal crimes against humanity, like Bradley Manning and Julian Assange ethical?

Jack

не прочитано,
12 мар. 2013 г., 18:59:4312.03.2013
– fm...@googlegroups.com
The Buddhist School, Yogachara or Vijnanavada, has similarities to Berkeley that seem worth pursuing.  Berkeley is primarily an idealist.  To also consider him an empiricist seems mistaken.  His ideas are very different from Locke's sense impressions.  Again language can become a trap for the unsuspecting.  I am intending to do some additional study of Berkeley.  Yogachara's mind only or consciousness only position seems quite attractive and would, I believe, harmonize with Berkeley in many respects.  Finally it is never easy to know for certain what any of these persons thought.  What happens if an advanced Buddhist soul reincarnates in 17th century England?  Berkeley?  Maybe so.

On Friday, March 8, 2013 8:03:46 PM UTC-7, Jack wrote:

William St. George

не прочитано,
12 мар. 2013 г., 23:35:5612.03.2013
– fm...@googlegroups.com
Actually Berkeley was born in Ireland to English parents.  But the Irish atmosphere may have given him a desirable boost away from the extreme materialism of the English.

William St. George

не прочитано,
27 апр. 2013 г., 16:00:1027.04.2013
– FMW Discussion Group
A warm goodbye to Bishop Berkeley!  This post did generate a little discussion.  And four people made comments.  While I agree that FP's may have communication problems with TJ's ( and I don't believe Don revealed what he is--ENTJ, perhaps), I think the differences run even deeper to social and geographical backgrounds, educational experiences, age, etc.  For example I am only one step away from a great-grandmother who probably spoke Gaelic and the same from people who imposed an Irish quality on their English structures and pronunciation.  Even my mother had unusual mannerisms and would point to her heart to indicate herself--something people rarely do now as they point to their brain.

I only read some things word for word.  Poetry and novels, for example.  When I first looked ito Berkeley I read impressionistically.  Foir a philosopher quite a fine writer.  According to people who knew him he had an exceptionally good character.  I found two things of interest.

One was his belief that the world of things had relative existence or reality.  Like Vedanta.  [I might mention here that for Indians real = transient and impermanent.  Another usage different from standard English.]  Secondly, he believed we knew ourselves or spirit differently than things or ideas.  His phrase was "by inward feeling".  Since he clearly believed that reason could be a source of knowledge he had three ways of knowing.

Does this make Berkeley an Advaita Vedantist?  No.  But it does show that he had a keen mind and perhaps, if he had written and published Part II of his treatise we might have seen even more of a drift that way.

What about Spinoza?  Well, anyone who thinks Spinoza was a strict rationalist would probably regard anyone wearing expensive clothes as wealthy.  But forget that even wealthy people occasionally donate clothing to the thrift stores--and sometimes quite unused and new clothing.  So you can not always judge a philosopher by the superficial appearances.  But still it seems many do.

The same might be said of Husserl who here and there says some deep things.  The end product of a philosopher may not be a very good or accurate portrayal of the man and his discoveries.  FMW is rather exceptionally clear and with his audios it is much harder to misinterpet his material.  Or so I would think.

Anyone who has read books written by Indians has surely noticed how they impose an unusual structure on English.  Someone picking up Dr. Mishra's FUNDAMENTALS OF YOGA  will soon know the book was not written by an Englishman.  Likewise no one is going to think FMW was English and not American.  Even German literature in translation feels German and not English.

The first spiritual teacher I studied with said to me, Do not get caught up in the words.  Catch the inner meaning.  One time he said of the world, It was all planned long ago.  A unwary student then asked when?  It wasn't me.

The fact that Don finds the way I write difficult just illustrates my point.  If I wrote in the way many psychological texts are written he might feel right at home.  If the people who commented here wrote like Rilke or Cormac McCarty then the same would be true for me.  The point I have in mind is that with such diverse backgrounds and writing about such esoteric matters . . . well, how likely are we to agree or even know what the other person is saying?

Good luck everyone.  Spring is here.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Jack <alethe...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is a surprising harmony between these two philosophies.  Though I am not aware of what Berkeley thought about knowledge of God, I can guess that he considered it possible for some rare and priviledged individuals.  Berkeley's argument against matter is the same as Franklin's (POCUWAO).  I find much in Berkeley's philosophy very compelling just as I have in Wolff's.  I wonder if anyone has studied this out in detail.  It has been a long time since I read some of Berkeley.

Ron Leonard

не прочитано,
13 мая 2013 г., 02:48:3213.05.2013
– William St. George, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group

May 12, 2013

Hi, William,

Many of your statements in recent postings merit further discussion. However, were I to attempt to treat all of them my response would be much more extensive. I shall strive to be succinct.

1.       Self (See Eliot Deutsch, Advaita Vedanta, 48): “Atman (or paramatman, the Highest Self), for Advaita Vedanta, is that pure, undifferentiated self-shining consciousness, timeless, spaceless, and unthinkable, that is not-different from Brahman and that underlies and supports the individual human person.” It is “the pure ‘subject’ [Italics mine.] that underlies all subject/object distinctions” (49). This incisive formulation, by a Western philosopher who is an expert in Eastern philosophy, is the best that I have seen. I am sure that Franklin would not disagree. However, Franklin deliberately adapted some Eastern terms (e.g., Self and Nirvana) to best express his own Realizations. In his first Fundamental Realization (which I have called I Am That), he Realized the Self as Pure Subject, which he interpreted to be a confirmation of his view of Shankara’s Advaita Vedanta. However, in his preliminary comments to his Aphorism on the Self, he refers to Shankara as a monist (Transformations in Consciousness, 125), so this would reflect his First Fundamental Realization—Nirvana, or Consciousness-without-an-object-but-with-the-subject (Experience and Philosophy, 421-2). I contend that a more profound interpretation of Advaita Vedanta in terms of non-dualism is more accurate, but does not lend itself to the contrast that Franklin needed to express how his Second Fundamental Realization so vastly exceeded the first.

2.       Shunyata (Voidness or Emptiness): In Shunyata all things are Realized as ‘empty’ of inherent existence, but this does not reduce to phenomenalism. In his tapes (composed much later than his writings) Franklin uses the Tibetan term Rigpa (Primordial Consciousness) to characterize Consciousness-without-an-object and without-a-subject (in his Second Fundamental Realization—what he called the High Indifference). However, in his primary writings he uses Shunyata, as “it comprehends both objective as well as subjective possibilities,” and thus comprehends both Samsara and Nirvana (as emphasized in his Aphorisms on CWO). Furthermore, whereas Franklin states that Nirvikalpa Samadhi is “the highest form of ecstatic Consciousness possible to man, it may be regarded as a kind of Nirvanic Consciousness.” Consequently, he would deny that this would be an accurate designation for his ultimate Realization. Other sources may employ a more exalted definition of Nirvikalpa Samadhi, but it seems best to clarify Franklin’s philosophy in his own terms first before introducing a critique that may/may not lead toward edification.

3.       Kant and the Noumenon: The problems facing Kant at the end of the dispute between Rationalism and Empiricism were (1) to reclaim from Hume’s radical skepticism the knowledge that we actually have, and (2) to limit the extravagant and mutually incompatible metaphysical claims of the Rationalists. He does this by taking the Epistemological Turn (His “Copernican Revolution” in philosophy is the shift in focus from the object to the subject) to critique human knowledge, as such, to determine what it is that we can justifiably claim to know. “What is Reality?” is replaced by “What can we know of Reality?” Reality (which Kant understands as noumena, or things-as-they-are-in-themselves) may be defined as that which has being independently of any appearance to consciousness (that is, phenomena, or things as they appear to us). The metaphysical notion of the Noumenon then represents the logical possibility of a somewhat that underlies and gives rise to phenomena, but does not itself appear. It would be philosophically defective either to affirm or deny noumena without evidence. Kant is not claiming to know noumena, but rather is proposing criteria for what would constitute such evidence. Franklin contends that Introception (knowledge-through-identity) satisfies such criteria for metaphysical knowledge. He calls his shift of focus, from the subject to Consciousness Itself, a Copernican Revolution that completes that of Kant, and believes this to be his main contribution to Western philosophy.

Shine on,

Love and Light,

Ron