'I am not the doer'.

Jack

Sep 23, 2013, 9:34:37 PM9/23/13
to fm...@googlegroups.com

Off hand I can not recall anything that FMW wrote or said about the doer.  That 'I am not the doer' seems pretty obvious if one will take the time to careful observe what precedes any action but especially those where some deliberation has been entered into.  There have even been some psychological studies and experiments where it has been shown that a person begins preparing for an action before they become conscious of the fact and have made as yet no conscious decision.  A good example would be someone getting ready to leave a social gathering.  Videoed one might see them making their preparations with no conscious awareness they were doing it.

Schopenhauer takes the medieval idea of doing comes from essence.  My actions flow naturally from what I really am whether or not I acknowledge it.  Can this be what most mean by free will?  That seems unlikely.  Free will seems to be major sacred cow even among spiritual persons and teachers.  I have never though gotten anyone to define what they mean intelligibly.  By that I mean something simply that makes real sense.

The only valid usage I know of is when someone says I did X of my own free will meaning that he was not coerced or under duress.  Otherwise, a definition is impossible it seems to come by.