Fw: [fm-w], {Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fel The Interesting Similarity Between The Philosophies of Bishop Berkeley and FMW

Ron Leonard

Apr 22, 2013, 11:29:39 AM4/22/13
to Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group

Apr 22, 2013, 11:57:09 AM4/22/13
to Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group
Hi Ron:

Thanks for your very clear response.  two points:

1. Meyers Briggs styles.  I think this is an excellent point to keep in mind. So many disagreements are not about substance at all (logic, reasoning, etc) but about one's style or approach to presenting ideas. I heartily recommend keeping Ron's distinction in mind when writing to this forum.  Doing this can be a powerful sadhana in itself - it requires first, recognizing one's own particular style, and then second, standing "outside" of it, which in itself, requires a great deal of discipline.

2. The 3 steps to challenging materialism. you didn't quite frame it this way, but your 3 steps of (1) phenomenology, (2) mystical perspective and (3) primordial wisdom are an amazingly clear description of what I've been working toward in my critique of materialism.

I'm only just realizing recently how much my initial "agnostic" approach - simply look at scientific data without making assumptions - resembles the phenomenological "epoche", the "natural attitude" that suspends ontological considerations. It is remarkable how difficult this is for people who identify themselves as materialists/physicalists.  I think the point about Meyers Briggs typology is helpful here - it allows some compassion in understanding the position of the skeptic rather than just condemning them for "not seeing".

Finally, about primordial wisdom. It's interesting you mention dzogchen. I find that of all the critiques of materialism that exist today, the one that I find most powerful is that of Alan Wallace, who has been moving, since 1996, more and more toward Dzogchen as one of the most accessible of Tibetan approaches for modern scientists.

Thank you for a beautifully clear, rational, well thought out letter.

Ron Leonard

Apr 23, 2013, 3:40:16 PM4/23/13
to Don Salmon, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group
Hi, Don,

Thanks for your response to my post, and for posting Piet's presentation (exploring the contrast between phenomenology and materialism) to the Husserl Circle. I have only a couple of observations at this time: (1) Husserl would characterize the "natural attitude" as our ordinary, unreflective (naive) approach to our experience that takes our metaphysical presuppositions for granted. It is only by radical reflection on our experience that these may be identified and suspended; (2) I was fortunate to be able to attend several of Alan Wallace's retreats on Dzogchen at the Great Space Center. I hold him in very high regard.

Shine on,
Love and Light,
Ron

Don Salmon

Apr 23, 2013, 9:24:31 PM4/23/13
to Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group
Yes, I expressed that in a sloppy manner. Thanks for the clarification.

William St. George

Apr 24, 2013, 1:34:34 PM4/24/13
to Don Salmon, Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group
Hi Ron,

     I have to admit that I am surprised that no one has brought up before the fact that FMW goes against the translation tradition when he uses the word Self to mean subject in any, even the most exalt sense.  I do not know when translators of Sanskrit spiritual literature began using the term Self to translate a variety of words,e.g. Brahman, Purusa, Atman and probably others.  The earliest reference I know of off hand of the Upanishads in a modern Western language is in German--but that translation was fromt the Persian.  Perhaps someone used the word Selbst.  (German capitalizes nouns.)

    In 1963 Julian Press published Dr. Murti's TEXT BOOK OF YOGA PSYCHOLOGY.  In addition to being a medical doctor with several specialties Dr. Murti was also a Sanskrit scholar.  In the glossary of his book he translates Purusa & Atman as Supreme Consciousnes.  He also uses the term Self and in the text the expression "conscious noumenon".  Who first decided to use the term Self to translate various Sanskrit words I do not know but the tradition of doing so is old and has persisted.  Self can be found in translations of the Upanshads, Bhagavad Gita, and many other obviously Advaitin scriptures and commentaries.  If ths original decision was a mistake then it is probably too late in the day to do much about it.  We just have to recognize it.  Dr. Murti was the disciple of a powerful Indian Guru and later on was one himself.  I have no doubt that Dr. Murti knew exactly what nirvakalpa samadhi was.  Or that he was Enlightened.  Though unfortunate perhaps the term Self-Realized is widely used in Indian literature, etc.

    Ten years later in 1973 we have a re-publication of CONSCIOUSNESS WITHOUT AN OBJECT.  Someone reading both texts would probably get confused about Dr. Wolff's use of the Self.  Being a highly educated Western person Dr. Wolff may have chosen more wisely.  Or his familiarity with German may have been a factor regarding the capitalized self:Self.  I do not know.  If Franklin had lived near a large  library such as the one at Harvard he probably would not have used the term Self as he did or he would have explained his usage and why he chose to do so.  As I have mentioned before Indian spiritual texts were scarce back then--even in the early 1960's little could be found in the Bay Area.

     As you can see I am not at all persuaded of any difference worth the mention between Dr. Wolff's Final Realization and what is usually expressed in Sanskrit by nirvakalpa samadhi.  Now it is true that this is step one as the vasanas of the person will generally arise and draw the aspirant back into the confusion of worldly life.  Given his past lives just what Dr. Wolff's further development was I have only the dimmest idea.  Souls do reincarnate who have in previous lives experienced the Highest.  These souls usually re-Transcend early in life and go on from there.  It all depends on the parabdha karma.

     Because of his interest in Buddhism it does not seem that Dr. Wolff spent much time looking into Hindu spiritual literature later on.  When about 20 years ago I noticed his comments in comparing Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism I took note and gave it some deep consideration.  The Buddhist concept anatman can be misleading.  However, in both traditions the Ultimate is the same.  Even in Sankara's day there were debates going on.  Gaudapada I believe was accused of being a crypto Buddhist.  His "There is no one in bondage and no one seeking Liberation" is definitely the statement of a fully Realized being.
Buddhist Masters are well aware that students may be misled by extremely subtle superconscious experiences and have names for these.

     George Steiner's AFTER BABEL is an excellent book on translation.  I highly recommend it.  With that book in mind I would say that translations from the Sankrit are at their best impressionistic.  And then there is Tamil to deal with.  I think the best advise is to read these writings like poetry and not take a mathematical approach.  Get the inner meaning level.

     From NAN YAR (Tamil for 'who am I?') by Raman Maharshi:

     Since in every [true spiritual] treatise it is said that for attaining mukti [spiritual emancipation, liberation or salvation] it is necessary [for us] to restrain [our] mind, after knowing that mano-nigraha [holding down, holding within, restraining, subduing, suppressing or destroying our mind] is the ultimate intention [or purpose] of [such] treatises, there is no benefit [to be gained] by studying without limit [a countless number of] treatises. For restraining [our] mind it is necessary [for us] to investigate ourself [in order to know] who [we really are], [but] instead [of doing so] how [can we know ourself by] investigating in treatises? It is necessary [for us] to know ourself only by our own eye of jñana [true knowledge, that is, by our own selfward-turned consciousness]. Does [a person called] Raman need a mirror to know himself as Raman? [Our] 'self' is within the pancha-kosas [the 'five sheaths' with which we seem to have covered and obscured our true being, namely our physical body, our prana or life force, our mind, our intellect and the seeming darkness or ignorance of sleep], whereas treatises are outside them. Therefore investigating in treatises [hoping to be able thereby to know] ourself, whom we should investigate [with an inward-turned attention] having removed [set aside, abandoned or separated] all the pancha-kosas, is useless [or unprofitable]. Knowing our yathartha svarupa [our own real self or essential being] having investigated who is [our false individual] self, who is in bondage [being bound within the imaginary confines of our mind], is mukti [emancipation]. The name 'atma-vichara' [is truly applicable] only to [the practice of] always being [abiding or remaining] having put [placed, kept, seated, deposited, detained, fixed or established our] mind in atma [our own real self], whereas dhyana [meditation] is imagining ourself to be sat-chit-ananda brahman [the absolute reality, which is being-consciousness-bliss]. At one time it will become necessary [for us] to forget all that [we] have learnt.16

j.

P.S. The Self of FMW would be the Superconscious Ego or the most refined I-Thought.  Still a subject with a most refined object. But subject-object conscousness is illusion.  Always.

Don Salmon

Apr 24, 2013, 4:00:54 PM4/24/13
to William St. George, Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group

Hey Jack:

Your letter inspired me to reflect a bit more on my attitude toward people who (to me) appear to be “awake”. (or more intelligent, wiser, more mature,) etc than me in any way

Take me and Franklin.   For example.

Just speaking of pure intellectual ability, I could say, from a purely professional view as a psychologist (and perhaps a bit swayed by that whole Harvard/Stanford/mathematician/philosopher thing), that, if I could have given Franklin a WAIS-IV IQ test, he’d definitely score higher than me (than “I”?).

Now, the next thing I know will shock you all, so you should prepare yourself.

Yes, I actually think – really and truly – that Franklin was…. How can I saw this…. More awake than me.

Really,

Truly.

I know you’ll all want to argue with me, but I insist.

So having established at least my own personal, unbiased, unprejudiced opinion of the relative intelligence and “wakefulness” of Franklin vs me, I offer this.

When I come across someone – in person, or in writing – who appears (at least to me) to be far wiser (ok, the cat’s out of the bag; I suspect he was just a heck of a lot more wiser than I/me), I always like to pause – a long time – when they say something I don’t agree with.

I first thought of this when Joseph was writing a few months ago about Franklin’s allegedly “conservative” views.  I’ve read the transcripts of his talks on politics, and – perhaps I’m being a bit too hard on myself here? – I just get the feeling that there are some subtleties of perception – introception? – in Franklin’s words that make me think I may not be getting the full import of his perspective.

Or is this just too much guru-worship, and making allowances for what I might otherwise just see as Franklin’s limitations?

Well, I don’t think so, but then, who am I?  I’m not even as smart or awake as Franklin:>))) (and who knows how my awakeness or IQ compares to others in this group??)

So I had thoughts along similar lines in reading your letter about Franklin’s use of the word “Self.”   I must have had hundreds of conversations with people much smarter and wiser than me over the last several decades about this topic of “the Self.”  I’m still sure that I’m right and psychiatrist (and well published author and much smarter guy than me even though he was willing to endorse our yoga psych book and even said we’re pretty good writers) Jeffrey Schwartz is wrong.  But gee, I sure took some time after we had a brief email exchange exploring our differences to think through what it was he was trying to say and to check to see if it was just black and white he’s wrong I’m right, or if there was something else to it (there was).)

So I’m not going to express any opinion on the particular topic you brought up. I’ve already been humbled this week by reading that last letter from Ron (geez Ron – you have to show us up by writing so lucidly and even in an inspiring manner?) so I’m not going to risk appearing foolish by offering a counter opinion about how Franklin used the term “Self”.

Just a few cents worth of observations about my feeling about exchanging different views with people much smarter and wiser than me.   It’s humbling, in a nice way.

William St. George

Apr 24, 2013, 4:11:22 PM4/24/13
to Don Salmon, Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group
NOTE:  Schopehauer read a Latin translation of the Upanshads which was a Persian translation made in the 17th cemtury in India at the request of a son of Shah Jehan.

"This translation, though it attracted considerable interest among scholars, was written in so utterly unintelligible a style, that it required the lynxlike perspicacity of an intrepid

p. lix

philosopher, such as Schopenhauer, to discover a thread through such a labyrinth. Schopenhauer, however, not only found and followed such a thread, but he had the courage to proclaim to an incredulous age the vast treasures of thought which were lying buried beneath that fearful jargon."

William St. George

Apr 24, 2013, 5:49:04 PM4/24/13
to Don Salmon, Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group

NOTE II:  I know you have trouble reading my comments, Don; but this time I am puzzled.  What I wrote has nothing to do with what FMW thought about self or Self but about his use of the term which differs from practically all the translations from the Sanskrit.  For better or worse someone many years ago started using Self to designate Pure Consciousness or Purusa or Atman or Brahman . . . that person was undoubtedly a Christian.  We now just have to live with it.  The SUBJECT was TRANSLATION and not psychology or philosophy.  I even talked yesterday with a Sanskrit scholar who agreed with me about the translation tradition.  Perhaps if we used the expression nirguna Brahman that would be better or Plato's One-Good.  It is a matter of taste.

Franklin was not writing  for an Anglo-Indian audience.  If he had he would have received ample feed back and qualified his usages of a number of terms.  This has nothing to do with IQ either.  Since the arrival of persons in India interested in Sanskrit and Yoga, etc. even Sanskrit has suffered.  If we designate a "somewhat" as unnamable and unlabelable--then to argue over various terms illicitly designed to name or indicate the unnamable we are in a pickle indeed.  What if a Yoga student who also had a PhD in mathematics began questioning FMW's use of the term Great Space?  Sunyata and Nirvana are further terms that might ensnare the unwary in metaphysical confusion.  Pure Undifferentiated Consciousness is not immune either as consiousness is now becoming a buzz word.

Both you and Ron having acquired PhD's have also acquired the academic style and attitude.  I have benefited from academics and scholars but have not chosen to become one.  I prefer the writing say of an Aldous Huxley  who did not have a PhD to that of most people who do.  Huxley's prose style is excellent and very readable without being low or middle brow.  Academic requirements sometimes make for arid and sterile material.

So my comments of today are about the translation of various Sanskrit terms by the capitalizd self.  It seemed evident to me that Ron had fallen into the trap of conflating FMW's use of Self with the very common place Anglo-Indian usage.

This is whole subject is not by any means beyond the grasp of a high school student interested in language.

Finally, I believe Franklin was going from something by a German scholar whose book I read a long time ago. Paul Deussen.  We can blame him for the confusion.  He's dead. "Some critics believe that Deussen’s lifelong admiration for Schopenhauer — as greater even than Kant — coloured his vision of Hinduism and gave it a noumenal, Christian ethos; however his scholarship is immense, perceptive, and meticulous." --Wikipedia

Addendum: A fine project for a Western psychologist would be to study saguna Brahman (svikalpa samadhi) as related by those who have these experiences.  I believe that characterizes FMW's penultimate Realization. So right there would be a good starting point.  In Chan, Yoga, etc. the Master cautions the student from concluding they have had the Ultimate when they have this experience which is precursor of nirguna Brahman.  The idea of a pure self would derive from these experiences.  As there are said to be four types of savikalpa samadhi that would also be interesting as I think many have these experiences without realizing it.  Self, person, ego, I-thought, identity, etc.  Ramana's clever image: the thief who becomes a policeman to catch the thief.  As I mentioned earlier, the person-self is a very powerful illusion to escape from & sometimes causes persons to fear annihilation.  A.H. Almaas has written extensively on this subject ( he was a friend and associate of the person who ran the Boulder  Nyingma Center for a number of years.)  I suppose in ending it would be wise to state the following: There is as far as I have been able to determine no significant difference between Hindu spirituality and Buddhist.  However, some persons based on their past lives will find one more attractive than another.  Even within Buddhism however there is a tendency for one school to claim superiority.  Tibetan Buddhism seems to do this more than any other.  And I have had a student of Chogyam Trungpa tell me how superior it is to anything in the Indian tradition. Pride. Fear.  Realized souls do not do this unless for some teaching purpose.  Then rarely.

William St. George

Apr 24, 2013, 9:22:14 PM4/24/13
to Don Salmon, Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group
Since the question we are dealing with here whether Advaita Vedanta differs significiantly from FMW's philosophy and Buddhism is really a scholarly one requiring research in various languages here, is some additional material from Wikipedia(Advaita Vedanta) which corresponds to numerous reading as well as conversations with sages by me over many years:

Moksha is attained by realizing the identity of Atman and Brahman. According to Potter,

8. The true Self is itself just that pure consciousness, without which nothing can be known in any way.

9. And that same true Self, pure consciousness, is not different from the ultimate world Principle, Brahman [...]

11. [...] Brahman (=the true Self, pure consciousness) is the only Reality (sat), since It is untinged by difference, the mark of ignorance, and since It is the one thing that is not sublatable.[14]

Western scholars like N.V. Isaeva state that the Advaita and Buddhist philosophies, after being purified of accidental or historical accretions, can be safely regarded as different expressions of the same eternal absolute truth.[165]

Ninian Smart, a historian of religion, noted that the differences between Shankara and Mahayana doctrines are largely a matter of emphasis and background, rather than essence.[166][note 46]

It should be obvious that Self is not to be taken like our normal usage.  It does seem like an odd choice by early translators though their reason is not too obscure.  What other terms were available?

Don Salmon

Apr 24, 2013, 10:31:51 PM4/24/13
to William St. George, Ron Leonard, Franklin Merrell-Wolff Fellowship - Official Discussion Group
Jack, it was a joke

(unless you think I might be smarter and more awakened than FMW?)