FlySight viewer with map view

Michael Cooper

Oct 28, 2014, 8:39:48 PM10/28/14
to flysig...@googlegroups.com

Hi all—

I had a bit of time flying to/from the competition in Elsinore last weekend, so I added a “map view” to the new cross-platform FlySight Viewer. The updated application is available here:

Mac:                      http://flysight.ca/fw/FlySightViewer-Mac.dmg

Windows:           http://flysight.ca/fw/FlySightViewer-Win.zip

I originally thought I might integrate the map view with the “top view”, but after playing with it a bit I’m leaning away from that. With the map view as it is right now, we can do things like zoom/pan independently from the other views and even switch to “street view” if we want.

As always, I’m very interested to hear any feedback you might have. The goal with this viewer is to keep things as simple and intuitive as possible. If you think something takes one more click than it should, or if there’s something you use a pen and paper to calculate, I’d like to hear about it.  This is an experiment in usable data analysis.

The source code, for those who are interested, can be found here:

https://github.com/flysight/flysight-viewer-qt

It’s not the prettiest code at the moment—the style isn’t always consistent and I know there is some refactoring to be done. I’m working toward using Qt’s model-view architecture, but haven’t had a chance to make the transition yet. I’m very much open to suggestions about the code itself, too. In my regular job, I manage a few hundred thousand lines of code which have evolved over 15 years with the needs of many users. In that case, I can’t always afford to revisit design choices as I would like to. It’s refreshing to have a small code base like the FlySight Viewer, and I’d like to take this opportunity to make something that’s a little prettier under the hood as well. So… Fire away.

Michael