Flysight battery Charging

Ahti Legonkov

May 30, 2016, 8:09:20 PM5/30/16
to flysig...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I connected Flysight via USB OTG hoping to copy data to the other
device, but I found an unpleasant surprise - the host device (Android)
detects Flysight as high power device and refuses to communicate with
it unless I connect it via powered USB hub. Not a blocker, but very
annoying. It seems that Flysight assumes that it can recharge itself
whenever USB cable is connected. So I thought it's just a firmware
problem, but looking at the schematic, it turns out that charging
can't be controlled by the firmware.

Other thing I noticed was that the USB configuration descriptor says
that the device can draw 250mA, which causes Android device to refuse
communication. Since battery charging cannot be disabled, it seems
it's possible that Flysight draws more than 100mA even before it's
enumerated. This isn't allowed by USB standard, if I understand it
correctly.

I have a proposal for the next revision of hardware - let the firmware
enable/disable charging of the battery to avoid the need for powered
USB hub when connecting Flysight to battery powered devices.

--
lego

Michael Cooper

May 30, 2016, 8:19:00 PM5/30/16
to flysig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lego--

The next generation of hardware will certainly have control over charging. With your current hardware, one way around this limitation is to use a "Y" cable which separates the charging and data lines. This way, you can charge from a USB battery while the Android device reads the FlySight.

Michael

--
lego