Postdoc position in lipid metabolism in Heidelberg

Matias Simons

Dec 15, 2021, 9:35:57 AM12/15/21
to FlyBase

Senior postdoc/Team leader position in Nephrogenetics and Metabolism

Location:       Institute of Human Genetics, University of Heidelberg

Contract:       3 years with extension possibilities, begin as soon as possible

Salary:           Competitive, subject to skills and experience

The newly created Nephrogenetics unit headed by Prof. Dr. Matias Simons is recruiting a motivated Senior Postdoc to lead research projects in human genetics, lipid cell biology and metabolism with the help of the Drosophilamodel. The mission of the Nephrogenetics unit is to advance the understanding of the underlying molecular and cellular mechanisms of inherited kidney disorders as a prelude to improving prevention, diagnosis and treatment of common kidney disease. We are particularly interested in role of lipid metabolism in kidney physiology and pathophysiology. Among other experimental models, we use Drosophila as a rapid genetic toolbox to study the cell biology as well as organ crosstalk in lipid metabolism, in particular with nephrocytes. Recent publications include Jouandin, Marelja et al, Science, in press, BioRxiv 2020; Perez Marti et al, BioRxiv 2021; Marchesin et al, Cell Rep 2020; Bedin et al, J Clin Invest 2020; Goncalves et al, PloS Genetics 2018; Rujano et al, J Exp Med 2017; Gleixner et al, Cell Rep 2014. For more info on the lab see www.simons-lab.de.

Within the framework of an ERC Consolidator Grant, we now offer an exciting opportunity to lead the Drosophila team within the Nephrogenetics unit aimed at exploring mechanisms of lipid uptake and metabolism, mainly using Drosophila as a model. We invite applications from individuals with a solid background in cell biology and metabolism. Prior experience with Drosophila, lipid and kidney research is an advantage but not a prerequisite. The projects will be carried out in a stimulating work environment with scientific collaborations across the Heidelberg life science community, in particular with the Molecular Medicine Partnership Unit (MMPU) between the EMBL and the Medical Faculty

The successful applicant will have opportunities for gaining mentorship experience via helping to train junior investigators in the group. The postdoc will also have the flexibility to tailor projects to their own related areas of interest. He/she will have good communication and organisational skills and a PhD in a relevant area (or be in the final stages of completion). Candidates are expected to be highly motivated and to work independently with a strong work ethic. As we are an international lab, proficiency in English language is a requirement. Applications including a cover letter, a detailed CV including a publication list and contacts of up to three referees should be sent as soon as possible to matias...@med.uni-heidelberg.de

Key words:

Drosophila, lipid metabolism, lipoproteins, lipotoxicity, endocytosis, lipid droplets