Job: Senior Research Scientist - Electrophysiology at Syngenta

lucy....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2022, 4:31:16 AM4/19/22
to FlyBase
https://www.syngenta.com/en/job/en/18039723/external/senior-research-scientist-electrophysiolo?date=1648753200

Based in UK, Bracknell, Berkshire.

Senior Experimentalist – Electrophysiology & Neuroscience

Core elements of the role:

Understanding the mode of action of prototype insect-control solutions and the associated risks for non-target toxicity and resistance development are essential requirements for the development of new crop protection products. We are looking to recruit a senior experimentalist, working in the Electrophysiology & Neuroscience team based at Jealott's Hill International Research campus near Bracknell in the UK.  The project will involve characterization of drug-protein interactions in cell-lines and cells in primary culture, ex-vivo recordings from insect preparations and management of external studies with contract research labs.  The job holder will be required to work effectively within a project-based team structure, delivering high quality data to deadlines, and have a creative and scientific approach to problem solving.  The candidate must be computer literate and capable of working both independently and as part of a team.  Good organisation skills and attention to detail are required.  He or she will have excellent written and oral communication skills.  Full training will be given on all aspects of safe procedure.

Key skills & knowledge:

To succeed in this role, you will have a degree (or equivalent) in a pharmacology or neuroscience-related subject together with some hands-on experience of ion-channel electrophysiology.  Applicants may have an MSc/PhD in a relevant subject.  A good understanding of gene manipulation in invertebrates would also be an advantage.

Success in the role will require the following skills:

  • Experience in either manual or automated patch-clamp techniques
  • Good planning and time-management skills.
  • Ability to engage proactively in adapting and developing data recording and handling procedures in line with changes in IT technology and infrastructure.
  • Ability to visualise satisfactory endpoints and design experiments to deliver these.
  • Ability to document process in detail and trouble-shoot technical issues in a systematic way.
  • Good communication skills, displaying the ability to relate information to different audiences

About Syngenta:

Syngenta is leading science-based agtech company; dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture.

Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture

Syngenta will offer:

  • Good onsite facilities, including a gym, various sports and staff restaurant
  • Collaborative working environment with an opportunity to work with experienced and well qualified scientists
  • Competitive salary and benefits
  • Up to 31.5 days holiday per year

We embrace and encourage diversity, and this is what drives our innovation and lets us outperform the market. https://www.syngenta.com/careers/working-syngenta/diversity-and-inclusion

Interviews are planned in (May/June?) therefore we recommend you do not delay your application. Please apply via recruiter’s website.