Postdocs and PhD students positions at UArk

Xuan Zhuang

Apr 19, 2022, 5:23:03 AM4/19/22
to FlyBase

We are looking for highly motivated postdocs and PhD students who are willing to tackle fundamental questions in both basic evolution and biomedical research. Research interests in the Zhuang Lab include Evolution of genetic novelty and diversity; Genetic basis of variation for complex traits and diseases; Molecular mechanisms of gene formation and gene loss. Investigations involve genomics, molecular evolution, and bioinformatics, in model (fruit flies) and non-model organisms (polar fishes). Current projects in our lab are related to new gene and convergent genome evolution, and genetic basis of complex disease.

 ​Prospective postdoctoral research associates

Qualifications

  • Ph.D. in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Evolution, Genetics, or related fields;
  • Proficiency in at least one programing language (e.g. Python, Perl, etc.) and one statistical program (e.g. R, SAS, etc.);
  • Experience working with and analyzing omic data sets (e.g. comparative genomics, quantitative genetics, etc.);
  • Good understanding of evolution and genetics theory and methodology;
  • Basic molecular biology wet lab skills (desired but not required);
  • Strong written and oral communication skills, and ability of work independently and in collaboration with others.
Responsibilities

The primary responsibilities of this position are developing and implementing bioinformatics pipelines to carry out comparative genomic analyses, interpreting and organizing results into publishable papers and grant proposals. Other responsibilities include data management, mentoring students, and providing bioinformatics support for the lab.

Application Instructions

Please email me the following materials:

(1) CV (includes publications and manuscripts in preparation),

(2) a cover letter outlining previous research experience and future plans, specifically how it is related to research focus in our lab,

(3) contact information for two references.

Prospective graduate students

Prospective PhD students could join us through Department of Biological Sciences, or Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Cell and Molecular Biology.

Minimum Requirements

•        B.S. or M.S. in Biology or related fields.

•        Highly motivated individual and commitment to scientific rigorousness.

 Desirable Qualifications (preferred but not required)

•        Hands-on experience from working with genomic data.

•        Experience from working in a Linux/Unix environment.

Application Information

•        Department of Biological Sciences

https://fulbright.uark.edu/departments/biology/prospective-students/apply-for-graduate.php

•        Graduate School

https://catalog.uark.edu/graduatecatalog/admissions/

 We invite interested and highly qualified candidates to apply. Please email:

(1) your CV

(2) a cover letter outlining research interest and experience, specifically how it is related to research focus in our lab

(3) unofficial transcripts, GRE score (if you have), and TOFEL / IELTS score (for international students)

Lab webpage

https://fulbright.uark.edu/departments/biology/directory/index/uid/xz036/name/Xuan+Zhuang/

https://zhuangxuan.wixsite.com/home

 Contact