PhD position in Storkebaum lab, Nijmegen, Netherlands

Erik Storkebaum

Jan 18, 2020, 12:16:19 PM1/18/20
to FlyBase

PhD Student (1.0 FTE)

Faculty of Science

Radboud University and Donders Institute

Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Application deadline: 29.2.2020; starting date is flexible (2020)

Work environment

Within the Department of Molecular Neurobiology, the Storkebaum lab combines Drosophila and mouse genetics to unravel molecular mechanisms underlying motor neurodegenerative and neuromuscular disorders, including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) peripheral neuropathy. Our team currently consists of four PhD students, two postdocs, two technical assistants, and several Master’s students. We attracted substantial external funding, including an ERC consolidator grant, two JPND grants, and a grant from the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). We have several recent papers published in high-impact journals, including Nature Neuroscience, Journal of Cell Biology, Nature Communications, Acta Neuropathologica, EMBO Journal and Nature Reviews Neurology. We have state-of-the-art facilities for Drosophila and mouse genetics, Drosophila and mouse behavioral analysis, imaging (fluorescence, confocal, super-resolution and electron microscopy), histology and immunohistochemistry, molecular biology, biochemistry, and cell culture. We are part of the Donders Institute, a world-class neuroscience institute with a lively and interactive culture.

Responsibilities

We are conducting a genetic screen to identify genes that are required for axonal maintenance. After screening ~20% of the Drosophila genome, we have identified ~45 mutant lines that display axonal degeneration, showing that the screening approach works. Your PhD project will involve the characterization of mutants already identified, and the generation of additional mutants, followed by whole genome sequencing and bio-informatic analysis to identify causative mutations, and putative disease-causing mutations in the human orthologous genes. You will further have the opportunity to contribute to other ongoing projects in our lab and be able to use a broad spectrum of methods and techniques including Drosophila genetics and behavioral analysis, fluorescence and confocal microscopy (and if applicable also super-resolution and electron microscopy), Illumina next-generation sequencing, immunohistochemistry, molecular biology and biochemistry. You will be expected to supervise Master’s students. Beyond that, your exposure to teaching will be minimal.

What we expect from you

·     You are a highly motivated, enthusiastic, critical, creative and team-oriented individual with a particular interest in neurobiology.

·     You hold a Master’s degree (or are about to obtain one) in biology, biomedical sciences, biochemistry, genetics or a related discipline, and are interested in a scientific career.

·     Previous experience with Drosophila genetics would be a plus but is not required.

·     We are a dynamic international lab, so a good command of English is essential.

·     You are capable of working in a team as well as independently.

What we have to offer

·     employment: 1.0 FTE (40 hours per week);

·     gross starting salary: €2,325 per month; salary will increase to €2,972 in year four.

·     in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;

·     duration of the contract: 4 years;

·     membership of the Donders Graduate School, including offers such as peer coaching and a mentoring program;

·     excellent personal development opportunities in both scientific and academic career skills.

Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?

Other Information

The Faculty of Science at Radboud University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourages applications from women and minorities.

Would you like to know more?

Further information on: https://www.ru.nl/donders/research/theme-2-perception-action-control/research-groups-theme-2/molecular-neurobiology

For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Dr. Erik Storkebaum, PI and head, Department of Molecular Neurobiology
Telephone: +31 625 76 60 73; E-mail:
e.stor...@donders.ru.nl

Are you interested?

Please email your application to Dr. Erik Storkebaum (e.stor...@donders.ru.nl). Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachment(s):

·     Motivation letter (maximum one page)

·     CV, including study grades and contact details of at least two references.

Written applications will be evaluated, and Skype interviews will be conducted with selected applicants. Finally, a further selection of applicants will be invited for a visit, which will include an introduction to all lab members, one-to-one meetings with lab members, a tour of the laboratory facilities, an interview and a scientific presentation.
Job Ad PhD student Storkebaum lab 17.1.20.pdf