Flying 501 Bethel Tuesday Evening

Wings-Aron Lantz

Aug 10, 2021, 8:09:03 AM8/10/21
to hyne...@googlegroups.com, Upstate NY Free Flyers, FLYING ALERTS
Can anyone be rousted to fly?

501 Bethel is a Hyner Club site.  It is situated not far from Pine Grove off I-81 and Bethel PA.

It is a long ridge for soaring.

It is not without challenge.  An H3 site with a distant lz that is flown in the evening magic time of day in S winds.  Double surface glider needed.  If you don't get up better immediately head out to land.

I'm putting this out there for somone who wants to get in the air at a new site, or anyone that is local that missed the other posts.

I have a Hyner waiver with me...and we have a month membership thing.

So far today we have 2 committed to fly and one maybe.

Thanks,

Aron

email sign off-
Want more flying opportunities?
see www.soaringroadtrip.com for more regional flying days. Try the tools.  Built by pilots for pilots!  Thanks, Aron

Robert Skinner

Aug 10, 2021, 10:06:28 AM8/10/21
to Wings-Aron Lantz, hyner, Upstate NY Free Flyers, FLYING ALERTS
Aaron,

Any idea what the glide ratio is to the LZ there ?
What are the LZ options like along the ridge ?

Rob

Rob

Wings-Aron Lantz

Aug 10, 2021, 10:49:48 AM8/10/21
to Robert Skinner, hyne...@googlegroups.com, Upstate NY Free Flyers, FLYING ALERTS
Hey Rob,

See attached screen shot of Hyner's website.  I marked the lz we used recently.

As far as other LZs they are pretty far, but there is farmland...but I doubt that you could make it there without getting high...one place I saw gliders land in the early spring was a big field to the left and on the other side of the road farther away...unfortunately right now it is 10' corn.

Aron

email sign off-
Want more flying opportunities?
see www.soaringroadtrip.com for more regional flying days. Try the tools.  Built by pilots for pilots!  Thanks, Aron