XCode unable to Parse contents of info.plist

Andrew Villegas

Jun 10, 2021, 8:34:15 PM6/10/21
to Flutter Development (flutter-dev)
Hi Fellow Flutterers,

I'm getting the error my_project_location/Info.plist: Property List error: Encountered unknown encoding (UTF-9) / JSON error: JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set.

and then:

Xcode's output:
    error: unable to read property list from file: MyAPP/ios/Runner/Info.plist: The operation couldn’t be completed. (XCBUtil.PropertyListConversionError error 1.) (in target 'Runner' from project 'Runner').

I've tried looking this issue (or similar) up but haven't had luck finding a way around this error. Has anyone ever faced this error / could guide me a bit? Thanks!

All best,
A.V.

Jack Sun

Jun 10, 2021, 9:27:07 PM6/10/21
to Andrew Villegas, Flutter Development (flutter-dev)
Doublecheck your Info.plist format.

I could reproduce your reported issue by removing one tag like (removing closed "</string>):
'''
<key>NSMotionUsageDescription</key>
<string>This app requires motion to function properly.

'''
Cheers

Jack

Sawyer Cutler

Jun 10, 2021, 9:50:19 PM6/10/21
to Andrew Villegas, Flutter Development (flutter-dev)
My guess is you attempted to manipulate the info.plist file and types something in wrong.

I may be wrong, but wouldn’t hurt to send the file contents here so we can take a look.

On Jun 10, 2021, at 7:34 PM, Andrew Villegas <avill...@ole.augie.edu> wrote:

Hi Fellow Flutterers,

Sawyer Cutler

Jun 12, 2021, 12:11:50 PM6/12/21
to Andrew Villegas, shmi...@gmail.com, Flutter Development (flutter-dev)
Have you tried the flutter clean?

On Jun 12, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Andrew Villegas <avill...@ole.augie.edu> wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Sawyer and Jack. I have never attempted to manipulate my info.plist file. I have double checked my info.plist and its formatting by comparing it to projects on github, and it seems fine. Here below it is in case I might have overlooked something!?
Is there any other reason why you think I might be getting this error?

Thanks!
-- A.V.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-9"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>$(DEVELOPMENT_LANGUAGE)</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>$(EXECUTABLE_NAME)</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>$(PRODUCT_BUNDLE_IDENTIFIER)</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>junios_tacos_app_admin</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>APPL</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>$(FLUTTER_BUILD_NAME)</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>$(FLUTTER_BUILD_NUMBER)</string>
<key>LSRequiresIPhoneOS</key>
<true/>
<key>UILaunchStoryboardName</key>
<string>LaunchScreen</string>
<key>UIMainStoryboardFile</key>
<string>Main</string>
<key>UISupportedInterfaceOrientations</key>
<array>
<string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait</string>
<string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft</string>
<string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight</string>
</array>
<key>UISupportedInterfaceOrientations~ipad</key>
<array>
<string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait</string>
<string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortraitUpsideDown</string>
<string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft</string>
<string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight</string>
</array>
<key>UIViewControllerBasedStatusBarAppearance</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

Andrew Villegas

Jun 14, 2021, 7:55:01 PM6/14/21
to Sawyer Cutler, shmi...@gmail.com, Flutter Development (flutter-dev)
Hi Sawyer and Jack. Thanks for your reply once again!

I did try this, although what fixed this error was simply copying the Podfile and Podfile.lock from an existing project (not sure if this is the right way to deal with this issue but it worked!).

Thanks, and all best,
A.V.

Sawyer Cutler

Jun 14, 2021, 8:10:35 PM6/14/21
to Andrew Villegas, shmi...@gmail.com, Flutter Development (flutter-dev)
Interesting, what part of the file was changed?

Jack Sun

Jun 14, 2021, 8:15:40 PM6/14/21
to Andrew Villegas, Sawyer Cutler, Flutter Development (flutter-dev)
Hi Andrew,

Glad to hear that you find a solution.  I tried '''plutil''' to test Info.plist and only got UTF-9 warning, but this is not the issue. I tried your Info.plist in my project and works. 🤔

If you do not mind, may try  '''pod clean''' and '''pod install''' to explore whether these could solve your issue.

Thanks. Happy coding.

Jack