[Breaking Change] Deprecations expiring after v3.16 release

Kate Lovett

Nov 29, 2023, 12:43:12 PM11/29/23
to Flutter Public Announcements (flutter-announce)
Hello everyone,

I hope you are enjoying the latest release of Flutter 3.16.
As per usual, with a new release comes a new batch of deprecations that have reached end of life.
Please see flutter.dev/go/deprecations-removed-after-3-16 for the next set of APIs that are scheduled to be removed before the next stable release in accordance with our Deprecation Policy.

I am pleased to share that many already have Flutter fixes available on the stable channel, and 100% of them will have dart fixes once the clean up is completed. For more information on these automatic migration fixes, see Flutter Fix on the website.

This policy has covered the flutter and flutter_test packages. Based on the feedback we have received, we would like to expand the policy now to include the flutter_driver package.

I have opened https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/139249 for tracking this proposal. For now, I'd like to welcome any feedback in that issue. We would not be implementing this until the next round of deprecations are up for removal.

Thank you!

Kate Lovett

Jan 10, 2024, 1:23:38 PMJan 10
to Flutter Public Announcements (flutter-announce)
Hello everyone,

This is an update on the latest deprecation cycle.
Some of the previously announced deprecations will not be removed, and will instead allow more time for migration.

  • The TextTheme deprecations will remain for another release. Please expect those to be removed next time, and if you have not already, enjoy a convenient migration with Flutter Fix.
  • Meanwhile the setPubRootDirectories method and enum, from WidgetInspectorServices and WidgetInspectorServicesExtensions respectively, have been reset for another year.
These have been notated in the original reference sheet shared above.

Thank you!