Re: Fluidinfo performance

Terry Jones

Feb 29, 2012, 4:22:21 PM2/29/12
to Bogdan Marin, fluidd...@googlegroups.com, nfpet...@gmail.com
Hi Bogdan

Sorry for the slow reply.

> 1. Is "has" operator faster then "matches" ? What is the fastest way to
> query fluidinfo ?

I'll leave Esteve or Manuel to answer that.

> 2. How can we implement pagination on these queries, we don't want to
> load 1mil results ? We need a LIMIT sort of operator

Yes, agreed. This is under active discussion right now.

> 3. How many simultaneous clients can query the system ? Ideally, we want
> O(1) query complexity on 1000 parallel queries .

Well, O(1) includes "a week" or any other constant, so I think we've got
you covered already :-)

Right now we have requests going through haproxy and there are 8 processes
handling queries, I think up to 2 simultaneously. After that things will be
queued momentarily. We can obviously increase that. Jamu is probably the
best person to comment on this.

> 4. I know that objects cannot be deleted, but what happens if we remove
> the tags and a lot of dummy objects will be kept in the system ?

Yes, but empty objects don't take up any space, apart from one row in a db
(it's only tags that cause storage). So I certainly wouldn't worry about
that at all, but thanks!

Terry

Jamu Kakar

Feb 29, 2012, 6:58:39 PM2/29/12
to fluidd...@googlegroups.com, Bogdan Marin, nfpet...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Terry Jones <te...@jon.es> wrote:
>> 1. Is "has" operator faster then "matches" ? What is the fastest way to
>> query fluidinfo ?
>
> I'll leave Esteve or Manuel to answer that.

If you want everything with a particular tag then use 'has'. If you
want fuzzy text matching then use 'matches'.

>> 3. How many simultaneous clients can query the system ? Ideally, we want
>> O(1) query complexity on 1000 parallel queries .
>
> Well, O(1) includes "a week" or any other constant, so I think we've got
> you covered already :-)
>
> Right now we have requests going through haproxy and there are 8 processes
> handling queries, I think up to 2 simultaneously. After that things will be
> queued momentarily. We can obviously increase that. Jamu is probably the
> best person to comment on this.

We have 8 API services load balanced by HAProxy, as Terry says;
however, they only handle a single request at a time. HAProxy keeps
track of busy services and passes any queued requests to the first
available API service. We can increase this number quite easily, but
so far performance with 8 API services seems to be pretty good.

Thanks,
J.