IMPORTANT(?): Adopting a new convention for where we store information about users

Terry Jones

Feb 29, 2012, 6:52:59 PM2/29/12
to fluidd...@googlegroups.com
We're about to make a change to Fluidinfo to store information for users
onto objects whose about values look like @xxx. We have been using a more
verbose about value: "Object for the user named xxx" but with the new
Fluidinfo UI placing emphasis on the @xxx objects, it makes sense to us
that we collect information about users in just one place. So we're going
to move our own system data to the @xxx objects.

We're also migrating tags from @MixedCase objects to the same thing in
lower case. E.g., from @GoHones to @gohones.

The plan is to migrate the tags of all OTHER Fluidinfo users too, unless
you don't want that to happen. If that's not ok, please let us know ASAP.
We'll do the migration on Monday morning (US Eastern time). We can always
put things back if we've caused a problem, but it would be better to know
in advance.

You're almost certainly not affected by this change, so if you don't
understand, then you're probably safe not worrying. The only people whose
programs or libraries will be affected are those who either

- Rely on the fluiddb/* or fluidinfo.com/* tags being on the same objects
where their tags are. In this case you probably want your tags migrated.

- Rely of the fluiddb/* or fluidinfo.com/* tags being on objects with
about values like "Object for the user named xxx". In this case you
should let us migrate your tags and then change your code to instead
rely on "@xxx" being the about value where your tags are.

- Rely on the UUID object ids of certain objects. Those objects will
continue to exist, they just wont have Fluidinfo tags on them. You can
leave your tags where they are or, if you rely on the Fluidinfo tags,
let us move them and then update your code to instead rely on other
object UUIDs.

Please let us know ASAP if you'd like your tags not to be moved.

Terry

Xavier Noria

Feb 29, 2012, 7:15:29 PM2/29/12
to fluidd...@googlegroups.com
Let me ensure I get this right (or wrong!).

What is a @xxx object? Is it a new kind of entity? Or for each user u
are you guys going to create a new object for u with about tag "@u"
(and in particular a different id) and you are going to migrate u's
data to this new object?

Manuel Alejandro Cerón Estrada

Feb 29, 2012, 7:25:16 PM2/29/12
to fluidd...@googlegroups.com

In simpler words:

- Every user has an object representing it in Fluidinfo.
- Currently, these objects have a fluiddb/about tag with the value
"Object for the user named <username>".
- We're want to change that convention and use the value '@<username>' instead.
- We're going to create new objects with this new convention and
we're going to migrate all the tag values from the old objects to the
new ones.

That's it.

Manuel.

Xavier Noria

Feb 29, 2012, 7:37:27 PM2/29/12
to fluidd...@googlegroups.com
2012/3/1 Manuel Alejandro Cerón Estrada <cero...@gmail.com>:

>  - Every user has an object representing it in Fluidinfo.
>  - Currently, these objects have a fluiddb/about tag with the value
> "Object for the user named <username>".
>  - We're want to change that convention and use the value '@<username>' instead.
>  - We're going to create new objects with this new convention and
> we're going to migrate all the tag values from the old objects to the
> new ones.

Awesome thanks.

Are you going to disallow abouts starting with "@"? Or perhaps you
consider that it doesn't matter as is generally the case with objects?
I mean, if a new user foo joins and an object with about "@foo"
exists, fine, Fluidinfo is going to use that one.

Terry Jones

Feb 29, 2012, 7:39:31 PM2/29/12
to fluidd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavi!

> Are you going to disallow abouts starting with "@"? Or perhaps you
> consider that it doesn't matter as is generally the case with objects? I
> mean, if a new user foo joins and an object with about "@foo" exists,
> fine, Fluidinfo is going to use that one.

Yes, that's right. In fact we're going to be using those object ourselves,
in advance of the user showing up :-) And if they never show up, no problem.

Eric Seidel

Feb 29, 2012, 7:40:09 PM2/29/12
to fluidd...@googlegroups.com

Should be the latter, you can already tag "Object for the user named foo" if you really want to :-)