Released GeoIP plugin to work together with ElasticSearch + Kibana v3

y.ken.studio

Sep 5, 2013, 12:29:25 AM9/5/13
to flu...@googlegroups.com
I've released a plugin fluent-plugin-geoip to use MaxMind GeoIP.
http://rubygems.org/gems/fluent-plugin-geoip

It is adding information about geographical location from IP address
which has included GeoLite City database for cost free version to use.

# What is ElasticSearch?

ElasticSearch is a database based Apache Lucene like Solr.
http://www.elasticsearch.org/

# What is kibana v3?

Kibana is a browser based analytics and search interface for ElasticSearch.
http://three.kibana.org/

# Quick Guide

Let's store apache access log with geolocation data to ElasticSearch.
After that, you can download kibana-v3 and add map panel for your dashboard.

<source>
type tail
path /var/log/httpd/access.log
pos_file /var/log/td-agent/httpd-access.log.pos
tag apache.access
format apache2
</source>

<match apache.access>
type geoip

# buffering time (default: 60s)
flush_interval 1s

# tag settings
add_tag_prefix es.

# specify geoip lookup field (default: host)
geoip_lookup_key host

# specify adding field and name
enable_key_country_code geoip_country
</match>

<match es.apache.access>
type copy
<store>
type stdout
</store>
<store>
type elasticsearch
host localhost
port 9200
type_name apache
include_tag_key true
tag_key @log_name
logstash_format true
flush_interval 10s
</store>
</match>

For more details, Let's check it out on the respository README.
https://github.com/y-ken/fluent-plugin-geoip

Thank you.

--
Kentaro Yoshida
twitter: https://twitter.com/yoshi_ken

Masahiro Nakagawa

Sep 5, 2013, 4:24:53 AM9/5/13
to flu...@googlegroups.com
Hi ken,

This is great!
Some companies have already used Fluentd + ElasticSearch + Kibana in production.
geoip plugin helps their log analytics :)

Thanks,
Masahiro

Kiyoto Tamura

Sep 5, 2013, 7:06:42 PM9/5/13
to flu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot for this contribution! Do you think it's okay for us to port this to docs.fluentd.org? It would be great if you can translate yourself, but if not, I will find someone in the community (possibly myself) to do it. Of course, the translated article will be attributed to you.

Let me know what you think!