Clarification of the behaviour of fluentd with pos_file

Florian CALLIGARO

Nov 30, 2020, 11:58:20 AM11/30/20
to Fluentd Google Group
Hi,

I have a question regarding the behaviour of fluentd when using a tail source.
My understanding was that fluentd would update the pos_file once the log would leave the queue buffer but that does not make sense otherwise what would be the necessity to have different buffers.

So does fluentd update the pos_file as soon as it reads the event in the input? Why wouldn't it do it once the log leave the queue on the output?

Thank you in advance for the clarification,

Mr. Fiber

Dec 16, 2020, 8:09:47 AM12/16/20
to Fluentd Google Group
> So does fluentd update the pos_file as soon as it reads the event in the input?

No. in_tail will update pos_file when reading data will be stored into output's buffer.
So if in_tail receives buffer full exception from output, pos_file is not updated.