Skipping Questions

Lilane le Grange

Jul 30, 2022, 4:05:10 AM7/30/22
to Flubaroo Discussion Forum
For some reason Flubaroo is skipping questions. The total is 25 where responses are collected but only 20 questions are graded and the others are not showing in the grading window.

Flubaroo Joe

Jul 30, 2022, 7:25:56 AM7/30/22
to flubaroo discussions
Did some of the respondents take the quiz more than once?  By default, Flubaroo only grades the most recent response.

Let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 4:05 AM Lilane le Grange <legran...@gmail.com> wrote:
For some reason Flubaroo is skipping questions. The total is 25 where responses are collected but only 20 questions are graded and the others are not showing in the grading window.

Lilane le Grange

Jul 31, 2022, 9:29:00 AM7/31/22
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
Dear Joe

It is not that some kids are not marked.  It is that some questions are not marked.  The form is out of 25 but the result from flubaroo is out of 20.  Some questions do not appear in the window where the questions are shown to grade or not.

Kind regards
Lilané le Grange
Dandel10n Delphi Books

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Flubaroo Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flubaroo-discussion-forum/CAPWPTOST6No6y%2BTtn_%3DQH9HFp9yvdkR9Gzk0FvbmQ-7ve-vq-g%40mail.gmail.com.

Dave Abouav

Jul 31, 2022, 8:19:08 PM7/31/22
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for the trouble you're having. Can you please share the spreadsheet with flubar...@edcode.org (with Edit access), and also reply on this email thread with the link. Someone will take a look.

Best,
Dave

--
edCode.org: A community of teachers and developers creating free, open-source tools for education.

Questions about Flubaroo?  Visit flubaroo.com/contact

Lilane le Grange

Aug 2, 2022, 12:28:33 PM8/2/22
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
I found the issue.  Some of the questions have multiple answers. But because I shuffle the order, there answers are not in the same order as my memo.  Therefore their answers are marked wrong. Is there a way around this? Or should I just rather not shuffle the answers in the form?

Kind regards
Lilané le Grange
Dandel10n Delphi Books

Joseph Schmidt

Aug 2, 2022, 1:32:24 PM8/2/22
to flubaroo discussions, Dave Abouav
So, the issue isn't that questions are skipped but that they are not graded correctly.  I'm guessing that Flubaroo expects the checkbox questions to always be in the same order.

I can think the best way around this would be to grade using a formula.

I think the find function will help you search for the correct answers no matter the order in the answer.

This is not the proper syntax but should give you the idea.

%=if(find("bart",FLB_RESPONSE)>0, 1, 0)+if(find("ranger",FLB_RESPONSE)>0, 1, 0)

That should find "bart" or "ranger" no matter the order.

If you have problems, please share the spreadsheet or one with examples of your quiz.

If you still have a problem please share the spreadsheet and form with flubarooshare   @   edcode.org with edit rights.

Dave or I will take a look.

We can usually solve a problem quiver with a good description and an example.

Lilane le Grange

Aug 3, 2022, 9:12:29 AM8/3/22
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure how I counted but at last found the issue.  Please look at my formula as it is giving me a #Value error even when kids got it right.

%=if(find("locate",FLB_RESPONSE)>0, 1, 0)+if(find("sort",FLB_RESPONSE)>0,1,0)+if(find("filter",FLB_RESPONSE)>0, 1, 0)
Locate, Filter, Last
Sort, Locate, Filter
Filter, Locate, Sort
Sort, Filter, Locate
Kind regards
Lilané le Grange
Dandel10n Delphi Books

Joseph Schmidt

Aug 3, 2022, 10:26:56 AM8/3/22
to flubaroo discussions
Try this.  You need to use the IFERROR function.  I think the formula below will allow you to assign a value if found and a different value if not found.  I use .05 and -0.2.

%=if(iferror(find("stop",flb_response),0)>0,0.5,-0.2)+if(iferror(find("start", flb_response ),0)>0,0.5,-0.2)

You can test complicated formulas in a separate sheet and then change the appropriate cell location with flb_response.

The idea of using formulas is for power users. My first example was untested. I have tested this one.

Lilane le Grange

Aug 3, 2022, 11:28:34 AM8/3/22
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your assistance! The formula worked and the advice to try it in MS Excel first works well.  I learnt a few new things today. I did not realise Find was case sensitive. My incorrect total was due to me assuming Flubaroo would take the total from the Google Form and I never checked that while grading the assignment.  All sorted with happy students and a happy teacher loving Flubaroo even more than before!

Kind regards
Lilané le Grange
Dandel10n Delphi Books

Joseph Schmidt

Aug 3, 2022, 12:06:20 PM8/3/22
to flubaroo discussions
I'm happy that you were able to get Flubaroo working.  A couple of items.

Use Google sheets to test a formula and not Excel.  Excel may be different.

The Search function is not case-sensitive.

I recommend using the Help feature to search for functions and review how they work.  Especially when you are given an example.

Flubaroo existed long before you could grade a quiz in Google form.  Only the teacher can determine if they want the students to see their score after a form submit or should they wait until shared by Flubaroo.  Flubaroo doesn't see the correct answer in the form.

It is great that you checked and discovered that Flubaroo was not grading correctly in this case.

I was happy to help and I learned a thing or two along the way.

Joseph Schmidt

Aug 3, 2022, 5:08:07 PM8/3/22
to flubaroo discussions
Upon further review, Flubaroo was working correctly all along.  When you have checkbox questions, you must use the %cb option.  See https://www.flubaroo.com/hc.

The formula that I presented earlier would work if you wanted to have each choice have its own value in the answer. You could even control how much to take off differently for the wrong choices.

My apologies to all. Especially Dave.

I had better brush up on Flubaroo before the school year starts.