Do formulas need to be text?

Trent Reynolds

May 12, 2021, 12:27:35 AM5/12/21
to Flubaroo Discussion Forum
Hello,

Having trouble with a formula to grade multiple short answer responses. It does not seem to recognize a numerical value like 21 for partial credit but will recognize 30-9. When I change the formula to "2one" and then regrade with that as an answer, I get the 0.5 points. Here is my current formula:
%= if(FLB_RESPONSE = "30-9", 1, if(FLB_RESPONSE = "21", 0.5, 0))
21 returns 0 points.
tried this one:
%= if(FLB_RESPONSE = "30-9", 1, if(FLB_RESPONSE = "2one", 0.5, 0))
2one returned 0.5 points
Any help appreciated, seems like a I am missing something very obvious.

Thank you.

Flubaroo Joe

May 12, 2021, 8:08:56 AM5/12/21
to flubaroo discussions
It would help a lot if you shared the spreadsheet and form with me.  I would like to see the question and the way Google has stored the answer.

It doesn't need to be all of the questions or actual student submissions.  I just need to see the choices in the question and the spreadsheet.

If you created a test form, that would be great.

If you still have a problem please share the spreadsheet and form with flubar...@edcode.org with edit rights.

Dave or I will take a look.

Please include some detail about the problem so we can locate the problem quicker.

Flubaroo Joe

May 12, 2021, 2:39:14 PM5/12/21
to Flubaroo Discussion Forum
Without spending a lot of time setting up a test try

%= if(FLB_RESPONSE = "30-9", 1, if(FLB_RESPONSE = 21, 0.5, 0))  I think that should work.  The compared value needs to match how Google is storying the answer.

I'm still willing to look at a specific example.

Trent Reynolds

May 14, 2021, 3:25:21 PM5/14/21
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Joe.
The two links have been copied from the original and I deleted all the unnecessary questions leaving only the one question to be graded and my formula in the key (top entry).
I still get the same error where a response of "1" returns 0 points but a response of "5^0" returns 1 point (half-credit). Thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Flubaroo Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flubaroo-discussion-forum/CAPWPTOQQhNkx6LKT%3D-5UV3ZwE6yVCsNZnzSaVhUVvqrMVTKEUA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Trent Reynolds
Fairmont Junior High

Joseph Schmidt

May 14, 2021, 11:22:53 PM5/14/21
to flubaroo discussions
Thanks for the example and making it so easy to test the solution.  %= if(FLB_RESPONSE = 1, 2, if (FLB_RESPONSE = "5^0", 1, 0))

I removed the quotes from around the 1 fixed the formula.  The trick is that the 1 was stored as a number by Google and we want the formula to treat it as a number.

The 5^0 was stored as a text and therefore the formula needs to have the quotes to make Flubaroo compare the text strings.

The way I could tell how the value was stored is that numbers are right justified and text is left justified by default.

I hope this helps.  If you have any other questions please let me know.

Trent Reynolds

May 16, 2021, 4:46:07 PM5/16/21
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
That is great help, Joe, and I have since used it in several places on other forms. Thanks a lot.

Trent