google form scramble option causes error on answer key

Allison Liang

Aug 13, 2021, 6:00:53 PM8/13/21
to Flubaroo Discussion Forum
Hello.

I have a google form where question #2 is scrambled.  I submitted the form to generate the answer key on google sheet.  For some reason, students select the same answer as the key, but are marked work.  Simple example:  answer key says "cat, dog".  On google sheet, some students who select the same response may have a submission of "dog, cat."  This is graded wrong.

I am re-using the same form I have in the past and never had issues.  Any idea what is going on?  Here is link to my sheet.

Thanks

Joseph Schmidt

Aug 13, 2021, 6:11:00 PM8/13/21
to flubaroo discussions
Flubaroo hasn't changed.  I suspect that the last time you used the form you didn't scramble the answers.

Either remove the scramble option or use the %= formula to grade the question looking for either answer.

Joe Schmidt

Liang, Allison

Aug 14, 2021, 12:05:20 PM8/14/21
to flubaroo-dis...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  I removed the shuffle option and it worked.

Thank you!

Allison Liang
Science Teacher
Science Department Chair
Silver Creek High School

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Flubaroo Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flubaroo-discussion-forum/CAPWPTOR2kzjzkPELjeCDkV0XGeuK-urZzOdmMSaUFtd0cG8EYg%40mail.gmail.com.

Joseph Schmidt

Aug 14, 2021, 2:04:54 PM8/14/21
to flubaroo discussions
I think you would be fine scrambling the answers to multiple-choice or list-type questions.  Those return the same value regardless.

The check-box questions return the values in the order that they appear in the list when seen by the student.

Thanks for reporting the question and also for telling us that removing the scramble fixed the problem.

Allison Liang

Aug 18, 2021, 7:49:24 PM8/18/21
to Flubaroo Discussion Forum
Hi Joe,

Sorry this issue is showing up another google form I used in previous school year.

Again, I have a google form with checkboxes set to "shuffle" option.  I noticed that on the spreadsheet, the answer populates in the order that the viewer sees.  Depending on how the form shuffles the answer choices, the answer key may or may not match the submission.  This is problematic especially when the student selects the correct options....but the spreadsheet return the answer in the wrong order.

This was not a problem last year.  Is this a "new" change for google form?  I like the scramble option b/c it discourages cheating.  But at this moment, it is messing up my answer key.   Do you have another solution besides turning off the shuffle option?

Allison
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted