How to submit a pull request?

Brian Larsen

May 24, 2024, 3:36:54 AMMay 24
to fltk.general
I wanted submit a minor pull request, but I'm not sure how. Maybe
only people in the developer group can do that? I went to the FLTK
pull request page and logged into GitHub. I clicked "New pull request",
but on the next page the "Create pull request" button doesn't do
anything. Maybe there is a doc or FAQ that I didn't find?

Anyway, I attached my patch to another discussion and Manolo will
see it eventually.

Albrecht Schlosser

May 24, 2024, 4:31:35 AMMay 24
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 5/24/24 09:11 Brian Larsen wrote:
> I wanted submit a minor pull request, but I'm not sure how. Maybe
> only people in the developer group can do that? I went to the FLTK
> pull request page and logged into GitHub. I clicked "New pull request",
> but on the next page the "Create pull request" button doesn't do
> anything. Maybe there is a doc or FAQ that I didn't find?

Sure, there are GitHub docs, e.g.
https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/collaborating-with-pull-requests/proposing-changes-to-your-work-with-pull-requests/creating-a-pull-request

In a nutshell:

- fork the FLTK repo to e.g. your-username/fltk
- create a feature branch in you fork (important although not required [1])
- push one or more commits to your feature branch
- request a PR on your repo/feature-branch

[1] If you didn't create your own feature-branch you'd push to "your"
master branch which is not recommended for some reasons. It's hard to
maintain for developers.

Note that you should only submit a PR if you are sure that it fixes some
issues or if it is an acceptable feature request. It's always best to
discuss your request in fltk.coredev before submitting a PR so you can
be sure that the PR has chances to be accepted. But that's only a
recommendation...

Brian Larsen

May 24, 2024, 4:41:56 AMMay 24
to fltk.general
OK, I won't submit any request for now, but thanks for the info, that will helpful in the future.

Greg Ercolano

Jun 2, 2024, 11:58:17 AMJun 2
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com

On 5/24/24 00:11, Brian Larsen wrote:

I wanted submit a minor pull request, but I'm not sure how. Maybe
only people in the developer group can do that? I went to the FLTK
pull request page and logged into GitHub. I clicked "New pull request",
but on the next page the "Create pull request" button doesn't do
anything. Maybe there is a doc or FAQ that I didn't find?

    You fork the project to your own github account, make the mods to that,
    then make the pull request from your fork.

    Here's a random example that covers the basics:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRLGobWwA3Y

    Just search the net for how to make pull requests to public projects.
    There's some other videos that probably go into more detail,
    such as keeping your fork in sync. Devs may request changes before
    pulling your fork. See the CMP for our coding style to make sure your
    mods use the same coding style.

    Or, if it's a small change, you can just open an issue and offer a patch
    file; make changes to your git clone'd copy of fltk, then create a patch file with:

        git diff > /var/tmp/mypatch_v1.txt

    ..and attach that to your issue.

    The patch approach is good for small changes, the pull request
    for larger ones.

    Other devs may follow up with more details.

Brian Larsen

Jun 2, 2024, 11:42:37 PMJun 2
to fltk.general
Thank you.