ANNOUNCEMENT: GitHub Discussions are now available for FLTK

Albrecht Schlosser

Jul 1, 2024, 12:20:25 PMJul 1
to fltk.general
All,

today I decided to open GitHub Discussions for FLTK - as discussed internally (by some devs).

Please see: https://github.com/fltk/fltk/discussions

Info posted by me:

"Note: Using GitHub Discussions for FLTK is currently experimental (as of July 2024).

If it turns out to be useful and usable we may decide to replace our Google Groups (fltk.general and fltk.coredev) with GitHub discussions in the future.

FYI: For those that can't access Google (Groups) - from "some parts of the world" - using GitHub Discussions can provide an alternative."

FTR: we got reports from users in China who couldn't access Google Groups because Google is blocked in their country. There may be other countries affected as well, and I hope that GitHub will not be blocked by these countries.

GitHub Discussions uses "Categories" to organize different kinds of discussions or questions, respectively. Please read the comments on where to post your questions (e.g. in "Q&A") or more general discussions (e.g. in "General" or "Development").

Please note that future announcements will primarily go to GitHub Discussions / Announcements at:
https://github.com/fltk/fltk/discussions/categories/announcements

Enjoy!

Matthias Melcher

Jul 3, 2024, 1:44:59 PMJul 3
to fltk.general
Thank you for activating GitHub discussions. I hope it will be used instead of Google groups. It's easier to format and link stuff, and easier to reply to and sort things out.

Greg Ercolano

Jul 3, 2024, 2:02:33 PMJul 3
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com

On 7/3/24 10:44, 'Matthias Melcher' via fltk.general wrote:

Thank you for activating GitHub discussions. I hope it will be used instead of Google groups.

    If the users like it too, and the messages content gets indexed
    in google to show up in searches, then I'm fine with it.

    But if it doesn't work for the users, then we shouldn't turn off
    the group/mailing list.

It's easier to format and link stuff, and easier to reply to and sort things out.

    Hmm, using the email interface, I haven't had trouble formatting or linking.
    But I admit not liking the google groups web interface. You'd think the folks
    who designed gmail would get that part right.

Albrecht Schlosser

Jul 3, 2024, 3:29:19 PMJul 3
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 7/3/24 20:02 Greg Ercolano wrote:

> On 7/3/24 10:44, 'Matthias Melcher' via fltk.general wrote:
>
>> Thank you for activating GitHub discussions. I hope it will be used
>> instead of Google groups.
>
>     If the users like it too, and the messages content gets indexed
>     in google to show up in searches, then I'm fine with it.
>
>     But if it doesn't work for the users, then we shouldn't turn off
>     the group/mailing list.

Yes, let's see how it is and can be used. As I wrote before, using
Google for our "user forum" excludes a big part of the world from
accessing it.

>> It's easier to format and link stuff, and easier to reply to and sort
>> things out.
>

>     Hmm, using the email interface, I haven't had trouble formatting
> or linking.

Neither did I, but do you also remember how many people were not aware
of top-posting because Google's web interface made it "so easy" to do
the wrong thing? Hopefully this is better with GitHub's "Discussions"
web interface.

>     But I admit not liking the google groups web interface. You'd
> think the folks
>     who designed gmail would get that part right.

OT: I don't think that these are necessarily the same folks, Google is a
large company. ;-)