searching for tester of FLTK 1.4 image drawing with a big endian machine

Manolo

Oct 10, 2022, 5:47:54 AM10/10/22
to fltk.coredev
Hi devs,

FLTK 1.4 has recently been updated so Fl_Cairo_Graphics_Driver draws correctly
images whatever the endianness of the host machine. But the new code was
not fully tested for lack of a big endian computer.

Could anyone perform these operations on a LInux/Unix big endian computer :

git pull to the last commit of https://github.com/fltk/fltk
autoconf -f
./configure --enable-usecairo
make clean
make
./test/device &
and check that the 3 images at the bottom left of the resulting window
are identical to those seen on the attached image.

TIA.
Manolo

device.jpg
Message has been deleted

Manolo

Oct 10, 2022, 10:00:47 AM10/10/22
to fltk.coredev
Thanks Matthias.
What computer did you use?
Here my arm64 MacBook pro is little endian !
Manolo

Le lundi 10 octobre 2022 à 12:29:19 UTC+2, melcher....@googlemail.com a écrit :
Yes, they seem the same.

melcher....@googlemail.com

Oct 10, 2022, 6:33:52 PM10/10/22
to fltk.coredev
Damn it, you are right. The M1 runs in Little Endian including Parallels. My answer was of no use, so I deleted it. I am so used to big endian ARM, that I didn't even check.

Greg Ercolano

Oct 10, 2022, 8:52:29 PM10/10/22
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Matthias. What computer did you use?
Here my arm64 MacBook pro is little endian !
Manolo
Damn it, you are right. The M1 runs in Little Endian including Parallels. My answer was of no use, so I deleted it. I am so used to big endian ARM, that I didn't even check.

    Manolo: do you think an old PPC Mac would do the job?
    I think they were big endian like my SGI.

    I have an old tower PPC in storage that I could dust off if you
    think it'd be useful. It's probably got an ancient g++ compiler
    and old 10.5 or 10.6 version of MacOS.

    If you think that'd be of use, I can try to pull it out and compile
    the latest fltk with it.

Manolo

Oct 11, 2022, 12:03:55 AM10/11/22
to fltk.coredev
Greg: The problem is that we want to check the new Cairo graphics driver which also requires Pango,
and runs over X11.
I expect putting Cairo, Pango, and XQuartz on an old macOS 10.6, and building fltk with it,
is no simple task.
My idea was to find a linux box with a native big endian architecture.

Manolo

Lauri Kasanen

Oct 11, 2022, 1:25:42 AM10/11/22
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
Manolo wrote:

> Greg: The problem is that we want to check the new Cairo graphics driver
> which also requires Pango,
> and runs over X11.
> I expect putting Cairo, Pango, and XQuartz on an old macOS 10.6, and
> building fltk with it,
> is no simple task.
> My idea was to find a linux box with a native big endian architecture.

Those are pretty rare. Modern POWERs would be nearly the only ones, and
most folks run those in LE mode anyway. You could ask in the void linux
irc etc if someone with a BE setup is willing to test.

Qemu can sw-emulate many BE systems, slowly.

- Lauri

Greg Ercolano

Oct 11, 2022, 3:08:12 AM10/11/22
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com

On 10/10/22 21:03, Manolo wrote:

My idea was to find a linux box with a native big endian architecture.

    Maybe I can install Debian on my old PowerMac G5.
    Might take a few days..

Manolo

Oct 11, 2022, 5:18:19 AM10/11/22
to fltk.coredev
Please, don't spend too much time on this. The rarer big endian linux boxes,
the smaller the importance of performing this test.

Greg Ercolano

Oct 12, 2022, 2:07:26 AM10/12/22
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com

    Oh good, because I had no luck at all installing.

    Did a bit of research; this technique seemed to look promising:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Ugfqj1ank

    And while I got the Debian 11 sid image to boot the installer,
    it kept failing midway during the install process that I could not
    figure out. It might be this machine only has 512MB of ram, which
    is probably too small for the installer to work with.