Priorities: SDL, Android, iOS, Lua, ...

melcher....@googlemail.com

Feb 22, 2022, 5:58:20 AM2/22/22
to fltk.coredev
Hi devs,

As we probably all do, I am trying to keep a balance between boring bug fixing and exciting new features. I would like to get your opinion on those exciting new features while I try to get bugs fixed in time for 1.4.0:

SDL support: I have gotten pretty far in supporting SDL. SDL is a timing library that abstracts pretty much everything graphical and more on many many platforms without providing a GUI. By supporting SDL, FLTK would support iOS, Android, and many other platforms without any additional code.

Obviously, this is much too big to go into 1.4.0, but would you guys be ok to check my code in for 1.5.0 as soon as I have it presentable enough?

The other question is about Lua. Lua is a very neat scripting language with an optional JIT compiler that runs on all platforms. The interpreter is tiny! MoonFLTK is a pretty good binding to FLTK: https://github.com/stetre/moonfltk . I have partially implemented a Lua export for Fluid, but it is a lot of additional code.

Would it be OK for you guys if Fluid provides code export, maybe for Rust as well, as most recent requests seem to be around Rust anyway?

It will add a considerable amount of code to Fluid though. Lua code generation is much less complex than C++, but it's still a few thousand lines.

 - Matthias

PS: the combination of running FLTK on iOS or Android using Lua is pretty neat as it allows writing little apps on the go without needing a developer environment. The Lua interpreter is simply linked as a static library (400kB).

melcher....@googlemail.com

Feb 22, 2022, 11:01:12 AM2/22/22
to fltk.coredev
PPS: https://github.com/MatthiasWM/fltk/tree/fluid_lua , in case anyone is interested. Compile and install `MoonFLTK`. Load `test/valuator_lua.fl` into the local version of `Fluid`. Then `lua valuator_lua.lua` should launch a very familiar demo app. Currently works only for that sample file, and by no means complete.