Getting Wayland icons to show on the taskbar?

Gonzalo Garramulo

May 21, 2024, 2:32:38 PMMay 21
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
Currently, albeit I provide a valid .desktop icon for my application,
Wayland and XWayland will not display it in neither the taskbar (most
important) nor the window's title bar (not so important).  The icon
shows fine on the Desktop.

I asked on Gnome, and they answered things that go over my head:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/7672

Can you shed some light onto this Manolo?  They pointed me to:

https://wayland.app/protocols/xdg-shell#xdg_toplevel:request:set_app_id

which seems like it would be trivial except for that I have no pointer
to xdg_toplevel from FLTK.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggar...@gmail.com

Manolo

May 21, 2024, 3:31:29 PMMay 21
to fltk.coredev

Gonzalo Garramuño

May 21, 2024, 7:03:39 PMMay 21
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com

El 21/5/24 a las 16:31, Manolo escribió:
> RTFM:
> https://fltk.gitlab.io/fltk/osissues.html#osissues_wayland_window_icon

Actually, it is better to read the code in the call libdecor.

One note to make in the manual is that "Name=xxx" is the actual
"xxx.desktop" file that is searched for.

Under X11, Name="xxx" can be an arbitrary string to display on the
desktop.  That's why I was not getting any icons.  My name was something
like "mrv2-64 v1.1.7" and of course I had no desktop file with ugly
spaces in the name.  Only mrv2-v1.1.7.desktop.

In any case, that would *still not work* as the code in Fl_Wayland_*.cxx
would look up the program name as the actual executable, which would be
"mrv2".  So the actual desktop file would had to be "mrv2.desktop", with
Name= *also* set to "mrv2".