RFC: fltk-options app is done, which layout should we use?

melcher....@googlemail.com

Jan 18, 2023, 9:10:54 AM1/18/23
to fltk.coredev

Please take a short peek at this GitHub Issue:

The app is supposed to manage all system and user options. There are two variants for the  graphical layout, and I am pretty impartial on which one to use, so I will leave it to the crowd to decide (the Crowd instead of the Kraut) (sorry, couldn't resist; I will pay the obligatory 1 Euro into the "Bad Dad Joke" jar).

Also, it is so far untested on Linux and Windows, but all CMake and Makefile conditions should be in place. It should install like FLUID and fltk-config, and comes with a chapter in the manual and a Unix style man page. Tests welcome. Typos to be found.

After that, the app is ready to merge as soon as I get enough OKs here ;-)

 - Matthias

Manolo

Jan 18, 2023, 9:40:42 AM1/18/23
to fltk.coredev
My vote is for the first layout, relying on tooltip windows to explain each option.

Please, note that a new option was added recently to the "Native File Chooser" option group :

options.jpg

Albrecht Schlosser

Jan 18, 2023, 11:15:35 AM1/18/23
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
On 1/18/23 15:10 'melcher....@googlemail.com' via fltk.coredev wrote:

> Please take a short peek at this GitHub Issue:
>
> https://github.com/fltk/fltk/pull/560#issuecomment-1387120795

Done, looks good.

> Also, it is so far untested on Linux and Windows, but all CMake and
> Makefile conditions should be in place. It should install like FLUID
> and fltk-config, and comes with a chapter in the manual and a Unix
> style man page. Tests welcome. Typos to be found.

I won't have time to test today, but I'll try to do this tomorrow and
comment either here or in the PR list, particularly about the two
possible layouts.

Thanks for the great work!

Bill Spitzak

Jan 18, 2023, 11:54:43 AM1/18/23
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
Is there any way to show what the default is? This can be a compiled-in default value, ie not dependent on any other configuration.

I would have the menu items show the actual value rather than "default". To allow the user to tell what value is default, either color it differently, or have a "default" entry in the pulldown list, but picking it immediately changes the entry to the actual value.

Mohammed

Jan 18, 2023, 1:22:30 PM1/18/23
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to override an option in user code?

Sent from my iPhone

melcher....@googlemail.com

Jan 21, 2023, 7:30:16 AM1/21/23
to fltk.coredev
may64...@gmail.com schrieb am Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2023 um 19:22:30 UTC+1:
Is it possible to override an option in user code?

From the docs: "If an application needs to temporarily override user or system settings, it can use the function `void option(Fl_Option opt, bool val)`."