Flow Cytometry Session at the Annual BioconductorConference July 30 2010.

Gottardo Raphaël

Jul 21, 2010, 11:11:46 AM7/21/10
to cyto...@lists.purdue.edu, flowcy...@lists.sourceforge.net, flo...@googlegroups.com
Please see email below for the flow cytometry session at the Bioconductor annual meeting, which will be held next week. You can still register and take advantage of the flow cytometry special rate: 200$!

We already have a few people registered but it would be great to get a few more so that R and Bioconductor can evolve and provide a lot of support for flow users.

Hope to see you there!

Raphael

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear flow users,

First of all, I apologize for cross-posting but we hope to reach as many people as possible.

As you may (or may not) already know, the annual Bioconductor conference will take place on July 28-30 at the Fred Hutchinson in Seattle. This conference highlights current developments within and beyond Bioconductor, an international open source and open development software project for the analysis and comprehension of high-throughput genomic data. A large part of Bioconductor is now devoted to flow cytometry.

The conference consists of morning talks followed by afternoon practicals, see here for a tentative list of practicals. The flow sessions are scheduled for Friday afternoon.
https://secure.bioconductor.org/BioC2010/labs.php

For more details:
https://secure.bioconductor.org/BioC2010/

With the help of Nishant Gopalakrishnan, Chao-Jen Wong, and Greg Finak, we are organizing two (1-1/2 hour) sessions on analysis of flow cytometry. The plan is to have one session on low level analysis (e.g. data input and manipulation, transformation, normalization, visualization) and one on automated gating (e.g. flowClust/flowMerge).

In order to better prepare our sessions we would love to get some feedback from the community (that means you!). Our hope is to have a good attendance so that we can really have a commitment for flow cytometry development within Bioconductor. The Bioconductor project is really user driven, so if we want to grow the flow cytometry field, we need to make sure we have a lot of users and participants to the conference.

For those who might be interested but are afraid of R/Bioconductor, we are ready to offer an introductory course to R/Bioconductor, but in order to do that we will need to have a heads count to make sure it will be worth running. So if you do need such a course, please speak up!

The regular registration fee for Bioconductor is $400 before July 1 and $500 after July 1. We understand that many of the other talks/practicals might not be of interest to you guys so if you are only interested in the flow cytometry sessions will be offering a discounted registration fee of $200 before July 1st and $250 after July 1. I can assure you you'll learn a lot so it's well worth the money.

In summary, if you are interested we would love for you to reply to this email and specify:
1) I plan to attend the whole Bioconductor conference (including the flow practicals) and pay the regular registration fee.

2) I only plan to attend the flow practicals and pay the discounted registration.

3) I would love to attend but only if you run an intro practical on R/Bioconductor in addition to the flow practicals.

We really need your feedback so please respond ASAP. I will also ask you to forward this email to anyone who might be interested.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.
Cheers,

Raphael

Raphael Gottardo, PhD
Research Unit Director in Computational Biology
Clinical Research Institute of Montreal (IRCM)
110, avenue des Pins Ouest
Montréal (Québec) H2W 1R7
url: http://www.rglab.org
phone: 514-987-5747