Re: [FLOSS-CEC] Digest for floss-cell-cec@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

1 view

Githin Alapatt

Aug 8, 2020, 4:43:39 PM8/8/20
to FLOSS CELL CEC
I was part of creating this cell.. no idea if its active or not! My interests in life have changed from FLOSS. Good to know there is some interest after a long time!

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 12:08 AM <floss-c...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
krishna Sangeeth <kskrishn...@gmail.com>: Aug 07 01:26AM -0700

Hi Folks,

Hope you are doing well. I am really sad to see floss cell is not active in
our college. This is sad because now more than ever there is wide
acceptance for open source software and contributors.

I recently came across amfoss[1] , a cell from Amrita which seems to be
doing lots of interesting things. It is something that is helping Amrita in
increasing its brand value also.

I think having an active FOSS community will help in increasing the brand
value of college as well as competitiveness of the students . Since we had
such an active community before, it will be worth a try IMO to do something
about it and get things moving again.

Few areas we can target

- kick start open source projects from college
- educate students on using open source software
- programming bootcamps
- gsoc , hackathons etc
- connect mentors to students for software projects ?

Let me know what you guys think.

[1] amfoss.in

Best,
Krishna Sangeeth (CS 2012)
Jacob Mani <jac...@gmail.com>: Aug 07 03:30PM +0530

Hey Hi,

Hope you are keeping well.

AMFOSS is brilliant thanks for sharing this!

And you are certainly right an active FOSS Community would help in
increasing the brand value; am afraid the set of students we have presently
in campus may not be seeing the value that you have seen.

I am afraid if we have any active members who are part of this mailing
group who are presently in our campus.

All ears for this & happy to do anything in my capacity.

Regards
Jacob Mani
CS 2013

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 1:56 PM krishna Sangeeth <kskrishn...@gmail.com>