LIN-XPERT (Linux Guru)

Mobin Skariya

Aug 10, 2009, 9:53:48 AM8/10/09
to FLOSS CELL CEC
i think the contest named LIN-XPERT (Linux Guru) conducted durin summit is just some questions asked for the RHCE certification.Correct me if i m wrong..i dont find it that attractive..also i didnt find ny seminar related to open source or conducted by floss..in last summit there was somthing on python and much more (i dont remember, i wasnt floss enthusiast then) . i know its too late now to reorganize anything..i just want to point out things.thats all. floss need to b more active from now else we lose importance in the college..we must b competant with ny othr organization or forum in our college.

hope all of u understand me.
--
Thanks n Regards,

Mobin Skariya
Ph no:0468 2333302
Mob no:+91 9496324925

Anoop Thomas Mathew

Aug 10, 2009, 9:59:49 AM8/10/09
to mobins...@gmail.com, FLOSS CELL CEC
Hi Mobin,
I would be glad to correct you.

1. The Linux- Guru invovles in the troubleshooting and server setup in Linux machines, which is similar to RHCE; But unlike the RHCE exam, the questions are too different and practical too. Means only an experienced guy could make it out..

2. There is a Linux Server administration and Networking workshop, most probably took by a Red Hat delegate(or an RHCSS).

with warm regards,
Anoop thomas Mathew
atm
___
College of Engineering Chengannur

Ogden Nash  - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up, it's always a cat."

Rahul Raj

Aug 10, 2009, 10:02:58 AM8/10/09
to mobins...@gmail.com, FLOSS CELL CEC
That's a good spirit and I support too. Any plans for SFD? I am still looking forward. Plan a one day activity. I think it will be a break to get the first years involve in FLOSS activity. I suggest a session on Python.

Regards
Rahul Raj
Chairman, IEEE Student Branch
College of Engineering Chengannur

Mobin Skariya

Aug 10, 2009, 10:25:35 AM8/10/09
to Anoop Thomas Mathew, FLOSS CELL CEC
sorry i didnt notice the networkin workshop.. good initiative

sarath gopal

Aug 11, 2009, 10:15:58 AM8/11/09
to rahul...@gmail.com, mobins...@gmail.com, FLOSS CELL CEC
hi all,

Consider this as an advice or make it lesser than that ,a suggestion.Consider the use of Ruby compared with Python.Ruby has many more advantages and if Python is to be given as a simple programming tutorial it may be easy at first, but later on hard when it gets a little advanced ,not in most cases but in some.Ruby has a culmination of features from many languages like ADA,LISP etc not to mention Python and wats more its interpreted too and web development is possible with Rails.But if embedded field is considered you may find Ruby a bit uninteresting.But considering its gaining popularity and future potential i think Ruby may be a better choice than Python.
So tutorials in Ruby may have better advantages than Python.
Discuss this with Joby and consider my"suggestion".

regards,
Sarath

Rahul Raj

Aug 11, 2009, 10:47:16 AM8/11/09
to sarath gopal, mobins...@gmail.com, FLOSS CELL CEC
Sarath-

It would be helpful if you could confirm the source of your information that RUBY is getting popular. I usually refer to TIOBE to check the popularity of all programming languages. Have a look at the index and rating of Python and Ruby at following link.
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
Looking forward for a reply.

-rahul

Regards
Rahul Raj
Chairman, IEEE Student Branch
College of Engineering Chengannur

sarath gopal

Aug 11, 2009, 11:38:18 AM8/11/09
to rahu...@ieee.org, mobins...@gmail.com, FLOSS CELL CEC
Hi,
I think there is gonna be a need for better explanation.
Let me make myself clear

1.I did not say "Ruby is Popular"..i said Ruby is getting popular
   This language is too young..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_%28programming_language%29
It originated in Japan and is getting popular in EU and US.Google it and all will be clear for you("Plz donot tell me "Bing " is more popular and where I found Google is better..sorry if suggestion is inappropriate..")

2.You cannot rate a programming language simply and iam pretty sure you agree you will agree with this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measuring_programming_language_popularity

3.Iam not here for a fight over which is gud and which is bad
 As it is clearly stated in my mail to all,its just a "SUGGESTION".
I did not compel anyone to use it or follow it..You can accept it or reject it, as i can see, you languish yourself as Chairman of IEEE Student Branch of CEC.

Thanks for the reply and have a nice day,
regards,
Sarath

Rahul Raj

Aug 11, 2009, 12:41:07 PM8/11/09
to sarath...@gmail.com, mobins...@gmail.com, FLOSS CELL CEC
I did not compel anyone to use it or follow it..You can accept it or reject it, as i can see, you languish yourself as Chairman of IEEE Student Branch of CEC.

ha! I didn't mean anything and no offense intended. I guess I was wrong at some point. Thanks for correction and indeed that was a good information.
I support Floss and Floss activities. Cheers!

-rahul