Wait a minute, is it 2003 again?

Ian Monroe

Feb 7, 2008, 12:43:33 PM2/7/08
to florida-...@googlegroups.com

Good Hello, my friends,

I know, I KNOW, two emails in a single month!  Well, don't worry, I won't make a habit of it.

First of all, thanks to everyone that came out to the monochrom presentation at Redlight Redlight.  It couldn't have gone better, and it was great to see so many smart, interesting people gathered together in one room.  That said, onward and upward.  There's a little thing happening this weekend that I believe may warrant your attention.  I know it's short notice, but bear with me.

Let me set the Way-Back machine to a Monday in June, 2003, a mere 4.5(!) years ago.  It's muggy and hot, and you're in downtown Orlando and you're checking out some weird electronic music at the Back Booth - there's a bald guy playing a computer, a long-haired weirdo following it up with some harsh industrial sounds, and finally a crazy skinny scarecrow with a mop of blonde hair bobbing over a flight case filled glowing, flashing diodes that seems to be creating music from the mind of some kind of digital super-intelligence.  Everyone is rocking out, you just talked for 15 minutes to some guy who builds high-voltage tesla coils for fun, and there's a chick over in the corner drawing a picture of a guy that's taking a photo of her drawing a picture.  The beer you're drinking is like some kind of 10% Belgian concoction that is going to your head a lot quicker than you expected, and the bright, abrasive projections are seriously starting to trip you out.

That's right, you were at EZRPM, or, as the kids called it at the time, the Egyptian Zombie Robot Party Machine.  So far ahead of it's time, we still haven't caught back up.

Ok, back to the present.  One of the the folks that participated in those fantastic EZRPM nights since the beginning, the incomparable Gar Bailey, is curating a monthly night called AvantGARism at a wonderful venue in downtown Deland, Florida.   What better time, what better place to have a little ... well, let's call it a reunion ... with all those heads from the olden days, and rock it like we did in our twenties.

So here's the skinny: There's a great bill of four of us old-school EZRPMers, playing at Caffe Davinci in Deland this Saturday, February 9th, 2008.  The performers include:

AlGARhythm (polyvibe) - Mr. Gar Bailey, the curator of the event, and purveyor of hard, abstractly dance-y IDM.  His turn-ons include turpentine, bonfires, that fuzzy carpet stuff on the side of big subwoofers and rubber chickens.  His turn-offs include licorice and phonies.

A_Scissors (polyvibe) - Solid-state; that's how Brian rolls.  Think of if Orbital took a bunch of DMT and then made songs out of the angelic twinkling of hallucinogenic bells.  Then add a ripping hard beat, and you have an idea of what A_Scissors sounds like.  Plus, women swoon when he walks in the room.

Drone Operator - I'm going to reveal to you the secret recipe that Drone Operator uses to cook up his tasty grooves: Take a dash of trance, a pinch of industrial, two teaspoons of minimalism and mix it in with your dry benzodiazepines.  Take it to Miami, marinate for two days, and then bake it.   It'll be a hit at your next party!

Mr. Antonym
- Yours truly.  Frankly, I anticipate that this will be a pretty dark show for me, as circumstance dictates that I must attend a funeral of an old friend on the day of this show.  But that, as they say, is the way she goes.  Expect sample-heavy, distorted pieces that sound like demons belching brimstone and depressing dirges that lull the mind into a anesthetized haze so the inevitable psychic implants will be virtually painless.  Goth kids will love it.

And the venue.  If you haven't been to Caffe DaVinci in Deland, you're missing out.  It's a wonderful little place with a huge patio area and a fine selection of wines, beers, and coffees.  They're attached to a place that sells architectural antiques, and so there's old iron railings, marble columns, granite benches and lots of other beautiful details all over the place.  It's really a pleasant space, and they love creative expression there.  This will be the third or fourth time I've played there, and I always have a great time.

So, to sum up:

AvantGARism #4
featuring live music by:

alGARhythm
A_Scissors
Mr. Antonym
and Drone Operator

Saturday, Feb. 9, 2008
10 p.m. - 2 a.m.

Caffe DaVinci
Phone:  386-736-4646
Address:  112 West Georgia Avenue - Deland, Florida 32720 (map)
Cost:  5$

Flier is attached to this email.

I hope you all can make it out.  I have a feeling that this is going to be one great show!

Until the next time we meet, you have my sincere wishes that you only hear good jokes, and you only talk to interesting people.

Honestly,

-Ian Monroe

p.s. - If you hate me and my stinking emails because I killed your father or stole your woman or you think I'm a spammer, just drop me a line and let me know, and I'll stop bothering you.  :)

avantgarism4.jpg