Re: Florida Creatives Beer Happy Hour?

Ryan Price

Oct 1, 2007, 5:28:26 PM10/1/07
to florida-...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Chris suggested we meet at the Orlando Brewing Co. - I think this would be a great Christmas party...? for our one-year anniversary on December 17th.

Since they don't have food, I think it makes sense for Christmas Party - maybe we can all chip in for snacks, or try to get a sponsor?

Peace,
Ryan Price
FloridaCreatives.com
Creative Conversations - Wendesday, October 10th, 5:30 @ TASTE
Florida Creatives Happy Hour - Monday, October 15th, 6-9 PM @ Crooked Bayou
Likemind.us - Friday, October 19th, 8-11 AM @ B&S Daily Market
The Performing Arts—Who owns them…Who cares? - Saturday, November 17th, 11 AM @ Enzian Theatre

P.S. should we start a separate FLCreatives-Discussion list? Then the current list can be reserved for announcements.

On Oct 1, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Chris Scott wrote:
Sending this to a few of you who I know like a good beer.  What do you think about having a FL Creatives happy hour at the Orlando Brewery.  I could see if their brewmaster, Ed Canty, could give us a short tasting and Q&A session or something of that nature.  May be able to get us a discount on the beer for the samples for the tasting as well.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Not sure if this should be in place of the std. happy hour or in addition since not everyone likes beer (blasphemy!).  I know from talking with some people at BarCamp and BlogOrlando there's definitely some beer interest in the community and supporting the brewery would be a good thing as well.

--
cs

Alexander Rudloff

Oct 1, 2007, 5:38:40 PM10/1/07
to florida-...@googlegroups.com

What about meeting up for dinner somewhere else, then all heading over there? We could do a dexters dinner -- anniversary right where it started! ;)

Best,

Alex

http://alex.emurse.com/
http://www.alexrudloff.com/

--
http://alex.emurse.com/
http://www.alexrudloff.com/

Chris Scott

Oct 1, 2007, 5:47:06 PM10/1/07
Ryan Price wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Chris suggested we meet at the Orlando Brewing Co. - I think this
> would be a great Christmas party...? for our one-year anniversary on
> December 17th.
>
> Since they don't have food, I think it makes sense for Christmas
> Party - maybe we can all chip in for snacks, or try to get a sponsor?

We can have food delivered there. Donato's pizza is down the road and knows
the address :-)

> Peace,
> Ryan Price
> FloridaCreatives.com
> Creative Conversations - Wendesday, October 10th, 5:30 @ TASTE
> Florida Creatives Happy Hour - Monday, October 15th, 6-9 PM @ Crooked
> Bayou
> Likemind.us - Friday, October 19th, 8-11 AM @ B&S Daily Market

> The Performing Arts--Who owns them...Who cares? - Saturday, November

Gabriel Chapman

Oct 1, 2007, 5:54:01 PM10/1/07
to florida-...@googlegroups.com

I really dig the Orlando brewery. I’m in ;)

Gabriel Chapman
Chief Operations Officer
407.650.2046
gab...@talentdatabase.com
AIM - gabrielinspirit
Blog - www.talentspeaks.com
Join
the global creative community at TalentDatabase.com

Greg Pederson

Oct 1, 2007, 5:59:49 PM10/1/07
to florida-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the Orlando Brewing Co meetup.  I know Chris and I spoke about this at the blogorlando happy hour and I think it would be great.  It also keeps in line with the 'support local spots' thing that Ryan advocates.  My only reply is, why wait till xmas, or a special event to go check it out?
Greg

www.NsightDevelopment.com

On 10/1/07, Gabriel Chapman < gab...@talentdatabase.com> wrote:

I really dig the Orlando brewery. I'm in ;)

Gabriel Chapman
Chief Operations Officer

--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Greg.P...@gmail.com

Ryan Price

Oct 2, 2007, 5:05:41 PM10/2/07
to florida-...@googlegroups.com
**Announcement**

I have started a second FLCreatives-Discuss list so we can talk about things like the poster campaign, christmas party, etc, without clogging up 75 mailboxes. I certainly still want everyone to keep getting email reminders and attend meetings. If you are interested in participating in planning of Florida Creatives events or the future of the group, please check out http://groups.google.com/group/flcreatives-discuss

Hey guys:

One thing that's really holding this group together from an event standpoint is the consistency. Certain people are at almost every event, I've never missed a day, we've done third Monday of the month almost every single time, and it's been downtown at the same time with one exception.

Unless we are making a permanent move, I want to keep things at Crooked Bayou because it's been so good to us. They have great snacks (tots, fried pickles) and meals, good beer on tap, drink specials on Mondays, and it's convenient for most people. Some people are not attending because they're downtown haters, but I don't think they'd like Orlando Brewing any more than Crooked. I could be wrong.

The consistency thing is not passed down from me alone. Alex and John are really on board with this as well.

Also, I'd like to have a special event for the one-year anniversary. I'm hoping that by then we'll be ready to unleash the poster campaign on Orlando and maybe get some more of this online directory stuff going (job board, events directory and wiki pages for all of Florida).

The poster campaign is simple: we get some artists (photographers, painters, 3D graphics, photoshop, dancers, fashion designers, anything visual) and create posters featuring their work. At the bottom of the poster we have a blank space where we can promote upcoming events like Happy Hours and likemind. We get posters that will last us a whole year and print all the dates on them and then get local businesses to hang them up. Printing is pretty cheap, so it shouldn't be a huge burden. I'll pay for it if I have to, or we can set up a paypal donation box? Something.

Peace,
Ryan Price

Mark Baratelli

Oct 26, 2007, 12:32:05 AM10/26/07
to florida-...@googlegroups.com
I got this survey sent to me and thought you all might have some ideas/brainstorms to add to it. Below is the forward. Please fill out if it interests you:

Bill Moskin, who co-authored a recent AFTA Monograph and presented at the conference in June, is continuing his research work and has designed a survey to obtain more information.  Below is a description and a link to the survey. I hope you'll take a few minutes out of your day to respond as an emerging leader...it could eventually turn into something valuable for our development and for the entire field.  Thanks!

Through a grant made to Bill Moskin & Associates by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation we are investigating whether there is interest in a web-based, interactive information service that brings an entrepreneurial perspective to the arts field providing trusted, accurate and practical materials at an affordable price. This service would target current and emerging local, regional and national arts leaders, regardless of their organizational or business structure. The intent would be to assist artists and administrators in serving communities well, successfully innovating and increasing financial independence. The content would offer an alternative to traditional approaches using independently curated material and provide a series of resources and interactive opportunities with multiple access points for acquiring information.

Your point of view is important to helping us understand the needs of the field and how best to offer meaningful assistance. Individual answers to this survey are private and confidential. Only aggregate findings will be shared beyond Bill Moskin & Associates. This survey will be available online until Wednesday, November 7, 2007. Your participation would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Baratelli

Feb 12, 2008, 11:38:39 AM2/12/08
to florida-...@googlegroups.com
Improv Everywhere is a group known all over the country (and probably now the world) for doing huge public stunts with hundreds of people that usually make some sort of statement, and putting great videos of the stunts online.

Elizabeth Maupin, theatre critic for the Orlando Sentinel, posted a video of a group doing a stunt similar to Improv Everywhere. I was gonna leave a comment telling her about this group called "Improv Everywhere" and sure enough, when I googled to find their website, it ended up being them who'd done the video on Maupin's blog.

I explored their site and you can now have a "chapter" who can do the same thing in any city as Improv Everywhere does in NYC. There was no Orlando group yet.

Now there is
.

Read their website and join the Orlando group. Can you imagine 200 people freezing in their tracks for 5 minutes in the middle of the Magic Kingdom and putting that video online?

Click here to join

-Mark Baratelli
MarkBaratelli.com

carbon productions

Feb 12, 2008, 1:00:35 PM2/12/08
to florida-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark,

I remember seeing this group featured on "This American Life" last year. They performed a "mission" that involved pretending they were the biggest fans of this unheard of band. They learned their songs, made t-shirts, went to the band's 3rd show ever in NYC and went crazy jumping around and singing along. The guys in the band thought it was wonderful until they received an anonymous tip that the whole thing had been fake. It was kind of inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time.
Sounds like fun.

Jeremy