Council endorses UDHR

Kerrie Christian

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
A week ago I made an approach to the Lord Mayor of Wollongong City
Council to prepare a Lord Mayoral Minute on the 50th Anniversay of
theUniversal Declaration of Human Rights - I was happy to have his
support - with the following minute going to Council last night

Councillor Kerrie Christian
Wollongong City Council
Australia

RECOMMENDATION 1 – LORD MAYORAL MINUTE – 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE
UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

On 10 December 1998 the United Nations will host an international
celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights. A copy of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is
attached.

Since its adoption in 1948, the Universal Declaration has been a call
for the protection of basic social values that had been so profoundly
violated during the Second World War – values which countries such as
Australia had fought to uphold. During the past 50 years, the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights has become a charter to which all people
aspire and is a benchmark of common standards for humanity. In its 30
articles, the Declaration lays down basic human rights principles
protecting individual and community freedoms, establishing democracy and
the rule of law, setting out basic standards of living and promoting
racial harmony and cultural diversity. These values have never been
more relevant to Australia.

As the sphere of government closest to the individual citizen, Local
Government has a fundamental role in the promotion and protection of
human rights. The Anniversary of the Declaration is an opportunity to
promote human rights principles and reflect on issues of key importance
to local communities, such as local democracy, social and racial
harmony, equality and dignity of all people, the elimination of
discrimination, the basic rights of every individual to life, liberty
and security of person, which form part of the core values of Australian
society.

It is appropriate then, in my view, that Council establish a “human
rights” space within the City to mark this community’s commitment to
human rights. An ideal location for that space is within the Wollongong
Mall next to the Amphitheatre, an area that was established as a “Peace
Place” in 1986 during the International Year of Peace.

I would see an appropriate plaque being installed in the vicinity to
mark this milestone in international relations.

I recommend -

1 Council affirm the importance of human rights within Wollongong.

2 Council establish a “human rights space” next to the “Peace Place”
within the Wollongong Mall to mark the 50th Anniversary of the
Declaration of Human Rights.

Kerrie Christian

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98