Bike lanes: the worst of the worst in Britain

1 view

ala...@twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

Mar 21, 2006, 11:57:01 AM3/21/06
The BBC currently has an "In pictures" feature showing the 10 worst
bicycle lane disasters in Britain, as submitted by UK cyclists.
Note the door-zone bike lane in #9 -- probably the most pernicious,
although some of the other ones are more mind-boggling (e.g. #1).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4794198.stm

Quite amazingly bad...

Thanks to John Kane and KBAC from Kingston for pointing out this page.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I saw in Germany and Czechoslovakia that the law is destroyed first and
then, after the law is gone, the freedom of the people is destroyed. The
thing about [Sen. Joe] McCarthy that bothers me is his disrepect for the
due process of law." -- Edward R. Murrow

Peter James

Mar 21, 2006, 8:59:41 PM3/21/06
ala...@twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
> The BBC currently has an "In pictures" feature showing the 10 worst
> bicycle lane disasters in Britain, as submitted by UK cyclists.
> Note the door-zone bike lane in #9 -- probably the most pernicious,
> although some of the other ones are more mind-boggling (e.g. #1).
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4794198.stm

It's also worth checking out the link "In the gutter" on that page:

These lanes shown in these pictures are not that uncommon - (bi)cycle
lanes in the UK _really_ are that awful. Note the blue circle sign on
#10 - a blue circle is the European designation for a compulsory action
- you have to use these lanes....

--
Peter James

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration

RealGrouchy (CAM)

Mar 21, 2006, 9:54:42 PM3/21/06
Great links! Keep them coming!

I spoke with Councillor Clive Doucet today, and he reiterated his
support for a comprehensive system of bike lanes. His belief is that
if we have bike lanes that are properly cleared, they will serve to
encourage cyclists, and keep motorists and cyclists out of each
others' way. I believe his vision is to create infrastructure on par
with European cities in the hopes of 'if you build it, they will
come'.

He added that when bike lanes are put (intentionally) in door zones,
it should serve as a reminder for drivers to watch for bikes. Why
would you direct people to ride in a zone that is inherently
hazardous? Riding a safe distance from parked cars would alleviate
this problem without bike lanes, and cyclists wouldn't have to worry
about relying on car drivers and passengers. Unfortunately, if there's
a bike lane there, motorists are going to pressure you to stay in it,
which would be necessary to stay a safe distance away.

In Toronto, where there are plenty more bike lanes than there are
here, many motorists park in them. Many cyclists have protested the
City's failure to deal with this problem by riding over the cars, or
painting white lines on them.

Another problem is buses. Like cyclists, buses have to occupy the
rightmost part of the road when picking up passengers. There is no
best place to put bike lanes on roads with buses, because invariably
one will get in the other's way.

I brought up the problem that bike lanes would need to be cleared of
snow in the winter and debris in the summer. Doucet agreed, and said
that yes, this should be the case. But the reality is that even with
the few bike lanes we do have, this is not being done. If city
managers are too skimpy to pay to simply paint these lanes, how should
we expect them to dole out maintenance funding as well? Before I
support the construction of new infrastructure, I'd like to see what
we've got maintained adequately, first.

CfSC's bicycle lane policy is at
http://www.cfsc.ottawa.on.ca/policies/bikelanes.html

It outlines the conditions that must be met when putting down a bike
lane, and highlights some positive examples.

What examples are there of bike lane mishaps in Ottawa?

I can think of Richmond Road westbound, crossing the Ottawa River
Parkway/Transitway. Even though there is hatched space near the curb,
there is a bike lane painted that directs cyclists over as many sewer
grates possible! It wouldn't be so much of a problem if there weren't
space to the right that could have been used instead, or if the
manhole covers were installed flush with the pavement.

- Charles.

On 3/21/06, Peter James wrote:

> -

Henry Troup

Mar 22, 2006, 4:31:25 PM3/22/06
IMO, the best solution is wide right lanes. Save the paint! We don't need bike lanes in
urban streets or quiet suburban streets. In the urban streets, there are too many
conflicts, the pavement is generally not capable of being widened -- think of the Glebe!
Stores up against the sidewalk, parking, two traffic lanes. Classic urban conditions,
good cycling is possible, but you have to take the lane to avoid the doors. But, Glebe
traffic is heavy enough that it's slow enough to do that.

Suburbs - not much traffic, no need for the lanes.

However, some marked bike lanes are done well in Ottawa - Carling Avenue Queensway
overpass, where the lane puts bicyclists in the right place. The bus stops are marked
with crosshatch. My other favorite is Baseline and Richmond/416 on-ramp as re-done five?
years ago. Much the same comments.

I like a bike lane on an 80 km/h road - but I don't insist. Bike lanes in 40 km or 50 km
zones are a waste of paving and paint. Share the road, don't split the road.

Henry

Mark Rehder

Mar 22, 2006, 5:14:43 PM3/22/06
Henry Troup wrote:

Hear hear! Thank you Henry - couldn't have said it better myself,
though I think I've tried once or twice. ;o)

Mark