(Fwd) [bicycle] [CycleON] [CycleON!] Ontario Bicycle Route Tou

tOM Trottier

Mar 31, 2006, 2:46:33 PM3/31/06
FYI
From: "David Hunt" <jor...@mergetel.com>
To: "Announce CycleOntario" <Anno...@CycleOntario.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:37:43 -0500
Subject: [bicycle] [CycleON] [CycleON!] Ontario Bicycle Route Tour Invitation

INVITATION TO REGISTER NOW!!!
For the first COA bicycle tour on the OBR

Lake Erie Shores Heritage Bicycle Tour
A Promotional Tour on the Ontario Bicycling Route
Windsor to Niagara-on-the-Lake - 475km
Saturday June 24 to Saturday July 1, 2006
A Cycle Ontario Alliance and Ontario Trillium Foundation Funded Tour

Details are being refined but essentially we are looking for about 12
riders, to go from Windsor to Niagara-on-the-Lake over 7 days, for a cost of
about $350.00 (Double occupancy Accommodation - Mostly camping, 2 nights in
hotels, all meals, mostly camping, 4 restaurant meals, plus Ferry Fares to
and from Pelee Is.).

The only costs to the tour participants beyond the basic fee of $350.00
($450 for single accommodation) will be a $25 fee for transportation from
Niagara-on-the-Lake at the end of the ride (if required) and for any
incidentals (e.g. ice cream cones, sunscreen, refreshments, and of course
bike rental if required). For camping stops, tents and sleeping mats will be
provided, but you will want to bring a sleeping bag, a towel and toiletry
items. We'll send you a detailed list with your confirmation of registration
at:

http://www.canadiantrails.com/Erie_Shores_Sign_Up.htm

The deposit needs to be paid on registration and the full fee 30 days in
advance of the tour.

To help participants travel to the start point of the tour in Windsor, for
those that require it, we are investigating the provision of transportation
on the morning of Saturday June 24th, from a central pick-up place(s) near
Toronto/Hamilton and on the route to Windsor.

The promotional aspects of this tour will mean an opportunity to participate
at media and meeting events with various stakeholders, being arranged to
help gain recognition and support for the Ontario Bicycling Route.

This tour follows relatively flat terrain, but you will encounter a few
hills. The prevailing winds are from the southwest, so we should have mostly
helping breezes. The full support service on the tour means you can make it
as tough or as easy as you like. We all ride at our own pace, but we
assemble up often enough that it is still a group experience.

For further information regarding tour details please contact:

John Sigurjonsson
Canadian Trails Adventure Tours
in...@canadiantrails.com

The following route segments per day are estimated for the tour:

Day 0 Saturday June 24
Arrive in Windsor, conduct media interviews and meet officials
Accommodation: Hotel

Day 1 Sunday June 25
Windsor to Leamington and Pelee Is. via Amherstburg and Leamington Ferry,
75km
Accommodation: Camping

Day 2 Monday June 26
Pelee Is./Leamington to Rondeau Prov. Pk. via Pt. Pelee and Blenheim,80km
(20km in & out of Pt. Pelee park, optional)
Accommodation: Camping

Day 3 Tuesday June 27
Rondeau to Port Stanley, 75km
Accommodation: B&B/ Hotel

Day 4 Wednesday June 28
Port Stanley to Port Dover, 80km
Accommodation: Camping

Day 5 Thursday June 29
Port Dover To Rock Pt. Prov. Pk. (Dunnville), 55km
Accommodation: Camping

Day 6 Friday June 30
Rock Pt. Prov. Pk. To Fort Erie via Port Colborne, 60km
Accommodation: Camping

Day 7 Saturday July 1
Fort Erie to Niagara-on-the-Lake, 50km
Accommodation: none, end of tour

A formal Triptic is being developed for each day of the tour and travel
insurance will be provided.

About 5 COA members have already expressed a strong interest in
participating. Please join us for some fun and memories.

Dave Hunt
Member, Trillium OBR Tour Project

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
,__@ tOM Trottier
_-\_<, 758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*) N45.412 W75.714 +1 613 860-6633
Q, Q,
</ </ This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
(`-/---/-') a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~ to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle