May 9 Open House: Huntmar Drive Improvements From 250 m North of the Carp River Bridge Northerly for 1.05 km

tOM Trottier

May 4, 2006, 4:46:04 AM5/4/06
Huntmar Drive Improvements From 250 m North of the Carp River Bridge Northerly for 1.05 km

Notice of Study Commencement and Open House

This section of Huntmar Drive includes the Ottawa Central Railway corridor, the Carp Ridge Hill
and the forced road section.  Last year in this area the City of Ottawa completed a Class
Environmental Assessment for the rehabilitation of Huntmar Drive from south of the Carp River
Bridge to the intersection of Old Carp Road.  That project was approved in October 2005 under
the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (2000) as a Schedule B project.  Since receiving
that approval, the City has considered additional improvements for a portion of the corridor to
address identified problems.  The improvements being considered within the new study limits
include:

    * Straightening of the horizontal alignment and creating a level crossing with the Ottawa Central
Railway
    * Reducing the grade of the hill up the Carp Ridge
    * Eliminating a previously proposed easement across private property for road drainage

This new study is being carried out in accordance with the requirements for a Schedule 'C' project
under the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (2000).

The City of Ottawa invites you to attend an Open House where you will be able to review the
alternatives to the undertaking, alternative designs and evaluations and the technically-preferred
alternative.  Representatives from the City, the consulting team and the Ward Councillors will be
available to discuss the project and answer your questions.

You're invited:
Tuesday, May 9, 2006
6 to 9 p.m.
Huntley Community Centre
Mess Hall
2240 Craig Side Road

There is an opportunity at any time during the EA process for interested persons to provide
comments. Any comments received pertaining to the study will be collected under the
Environmental Assessment Act and, with the exception of personal information, will become part
of the public record.  At the conclusion of the study an Environmental Study Report will be
prepared and made available for a 30-day public review.

For further information on this study, to submit comments, or to be added to our mailing list,
please contact:

Todd Penfound, Project Manager,
Infrastructure Services branch, Construction Services West
Public Works and Services
100 Constellation Crescent, Ottawa, ON K2G 6J8
E-mail:  Todd.P...@ottawa.ca
Tel :  613-580-2424, ext. 16005
Fax :  613-580-2587

Mark Pinet, P.Eng., Consultant Project Manager, TSH
Suite 302, 1150 Morrison Drive, Ottawa, ON K2H 8S9
E-mail:  mpi...@tsh.ca
Tel : 613-820-8282, ext 715   Fax :  613-820-8338
-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
,__@ tOM Trottier, 758 Albert St,
_-\_<, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*) N45.412 W75.714 +1 613 860-6633
CfSC representative on Ottawa Roads and Cycling Advisory Committee
Citizens for Safe Cycling director
CfSC Cycling Safety & Promotion Chair
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair
for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

Paul Gecius

May 4, 2006, 9:55:24 AM5/4/06
The road in question constitutes part of my daily cycle commute / pleasure ride and, well,
this will definitely make cycling more enjoyable along that stretch of road. Particularly
straightening the "S" curve under the train trestle just before that steep grade
(guesstimate 15 or more %). Currently I have to slow and consequently lose a lot of
momemntum because the road narrows to a single lane and there is no way of seeing oncoming
traffic. With my higher gearing, I have no choice but to switchback across the road or
walk my bike (yeah, like that's going to happen) up the hill. If they pave it or at least
make it a semi-permanent macadam surface like they did for the Goulbourn Forced Rd., all
the better for cyclists riding to/from Carp. Took a nasty spill at the top of the hill in
2004 when my front wheel dug into loose gravel just after the road was graded.