Gladstone Avenue (Hintonburg section) in very bad shape

1 view

ala...@twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

Mar 13, 2006, 12:12:12 PM3/13/06
I was walking down Gladstone Avenue Saturday, and noticed that there
are a number of very large (> 6" in diameter) and fairly deep
potholes on Gladstone Avenue in the east-bound lane, between Spadina and
Bayswater Avenues.

There are also a number of other, only slightly smaller, potholes in the
same area on Gladstone, between the railway tracks and Fairmont.

These would be very unpleasant -- in fact dangerous -- to encounter on
your bicycle. Beware.

My councillor's office says that Gladstone Avenue in that general area is
scheduled for reconstruction, starting in mid-June. No more info right
now.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I saw in Germany and Czechoslovakia that the law is destroyed first and
then, after the law is gone, the freedom of the people is destroyed. The
thing about [Sen. Joe] McCarthy that bothers me is his disrepect for the
due process of law." -- Edward R. Murrow

Mark Rehder

Mar 13, 2006, 1:21:44 PM3/13/06
ala...@twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:

>I was walking down Gladstone Avenue Saturday, and noticed that there
>are a number of very large (> 6" in diameter) and fairly deep
>potholes on Gladstone Avenue in the east-bound lane, between Spadina and
>Bayswater Avenues.
>
>There are also a number of other, only slightly smaller, potholes in the
>same area on Gladstone, between the railway tracks and Fairmont.
>
>These would be very unpleasant -- in fact dangerous -- to encounter on
>your bicycle. Beware.
>
>My councillor's office says that Gladstone Avenue in that general area is
>scheduled for reconstruction, starting in mid-June. No more info right
>now.

I ride that route quite often, and yes, that stretch is pretty bad.
During last Thursday night's rain all the potholes filled up, making it
impossible to tell which ones were 1" deep, and which ones were 6". I
almost lost control at one point, as a passing truck made it impossible
for me to avoid what turned out to be one of the deep ones...

Mark