Fat injections. Dr. Stone

The Doctors

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
60 Fat injections
About a month ago, I had fat injected in my laugh lines. The fat was
taken from a small incision at the base of my belly button. I
was unhappy with the results after the swelling went down, since the
lines were still there, only slightly improved. My main
concern is that now I have a hard little lump below my belly button
where some of the fat was taken. The lump is about 1" x 1
1/2". I have questioned my doctor, and she did say, itwas NOT common
for
this to happen, but that I should just massage it
and it should go away. I had this procedure about a month ago,
and I am
upset. I have a fairly flat stomach, and the area where
this lump is, can be seen and appears lumpy. I shudder to think
what a
person would look like if they had serious liposuction.
Should I be concerned or maybe see another Doctor.

Answer by Aaron Stone MD

The lump is likely one of 2 things some blood under the skin as
a result
of the procedure (a hematoma) or unevenness of the skin contour from
removal of fat close to the skin surface. Small hematomas
resolve on
their own without residual. Larger hematomas need to be drained
& may
leave permanent residual. Uneveness from fat removal is hard if not
impossible to rectify. You should see a qualified plastic
surgeon to see
what the problem really is due to.
=========
DISCLAIMER: The material contained here should not be
considered a substitute for your physician. These are only
general guidelines to help you think about the medical
possibilities. You are encouraged to consult your own health
care provider with any questions or concerns you may have
regarding your condition. To find other suggested answers to
your question, refer to the Ask the Doctors Web site which
includes a complete index of questions and answers at http://www.flora.org/ask-doctor/.